Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David T  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2018 06:48:49(UTC)
David T

Remote and Lone workers

Hi

Sorry if this has been asked a hundred times before but what is the real difference between working alone and remotely and applying this to transient workers?

Many thanks

DT

Kate  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2018 07:02:05(UTC)
Kate

Lone worker = only person working in the work area, so no one will know if you get into trouble

Remote worker = working away from the employer's premises

The same person can of course be both a lone worker and a remote worker at the same time.

IOSH has guidance on this topic which you can find if you search under 'Resources'.

I hope this helps!

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 24 August 2018 07:51:40(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Being cynical you might say lone worker= on their lonesome with no immediate help so you worry about what might happen to them; remote worker= working away from you so you are worried about what they might get upto!   And yes as Kate said they might be both ( twice as much worry!)

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Kate on 25/08/2018(UTC)
chris42  
#4 Posted : 24 August 2018 08:01:26(UTC)
chris42

I often feel like a lone worker despite being surrounded by people! (well they are in the building) So I guess its how you want to look at it.

PS I agree with the others

nic168  
#5 Posted : 24 August 2018 08:45:50(UTC)
nic168

Chris, I share your pain. I often feel like the only intelligent human in the building

David, Be wary of only looking at singleton workers- some Lone workers are fine,sensible, get the job done safely and report in when required. Other we can send out in pairs and they will still run into difficulties.

Sorry, thats  probably not helpful on a friday. 

David T  
#6 Posted : 03 September 2018 06:21:03(UTC)
David T

Thanks everyone for your comments, some what a mine field.

Kind regards

DT