Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trebor123  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2018 08:15:14(UTC)
trebor123

MPs are saying that vaping is acceptable in public places !

Since when have they been the authority on "unregistered and unlicensed" items that the public can buy, if they are then they must ban them in the UK...

These items are harmful and contain:

Flavours, propylene glycol, glycerin, nicotine, amounts of toxins, carcinogens, heavy metals, metal nanoparticles and "other substances" .....

There is far more research in the public domain showing how harmful and dangerous - FIRE HAZARD, they are, than those offer them as an alternative to that "nasty smoking"

GPs cannot be forced to issue these unlicenced and unregistered products on presecription..  that is criminal

What is the "IOSH" view?

Fire Services are reporting on a regular basis of incidents involving vaping equipment (allegedly "real" and / or "fake) or not..   A "CE" mark means nothing as there is so many items which are "Fake" making it to the UK market and not stopped from being exposed to the Public domain

These items should be banned completely and I feel that the only interest of MPs must be that they are Dirtectors or Board Members of  the manufactures?

nic168  
#2 Posted : 24 August 2018 08:38:37(UTC)
nic168

Hi Trebor,  have you got any links or refernces to that research?. I think many of us will be having to look at this if the MPs get their way.

For what its worth I agree with you this is not a habit to be encouraged. Apart from the known problems with "fake" gear, many of the fluids smell revolting and there is the same waste /litter problems as with cigarettes.

Spacedinvader  
#3 Posted : 24 August 2018 08:47:25(UTC)
Spacedinvader

I'd also like to see this "research".

Also, what litter problem like cigarettes?

trebor123  
#4 Posted : 24 August 2018 08:53:00(UTC)
trebor123

The research is available via "Google" far too much to post links on here !!!

I have read a lot and have checked with researchers etc

I dont know which reports the MPs were following !!  Sceptical I know but I bet it was teh manufactures and not "Independant" researchers !!! 

Its the same old story !!!

You can google the Fire information too, many of the Fire & Rescue services share their data online too and also have had lots of FOI requests !!  good luck

Spacedinvader  
#5 Posted : 24 August 2018 08:56:23(UTC)
Spacedinvader

Yes, can find all sorts of bull using Google, post link to a reputable research paper or two.  Not asking for 700.

Only fires I've heard of are from idiots modifying the battery.

Ian Bell2  
#6 Posted : 24 August 2018 09:01:40(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Its a bit of a rant...

Not that I like smoking or vaping of any sort.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 24 August 2018 10:21:02(UTC)
Roundtuit

and then we can ban everything else research says is bad for us. Latest report is no such thing as a safe level of alcohol intake. I personally like one Woody Allen film - the Sleeper where one of these my body is a temple types awakes in the future to find everything he was told was bad is now the converse. The MP's may have vested interest at the back of this but at least they are starting the debate which should have occurred at the outset of these devices. Better regulation and we should see a reduction in the associated fires and exploding batteries. Clear direction on where these should be used will end policies based upon association with tobacco products. From observation I consider them a significant driving hazard - in these warmer months it is frightening the size and density of a vapours plume chuffing from the driver's side window like the steam trains of old.

Edited by user 24 August 2018 10:23:04(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 24 August 2018 10:21:02(UTC)
Roundtuit

and then we can ban everything else research says is bad for us. Latest report is no such thing as a safe level of alcohol intake. I personally like one Woody Allen film - the Sleeper where one of these my body is a temple types awakes in the future to find everything he was told was bad is now the converse. The MP's may have vested interest at the back of this but at least they are starting the debate which should have occurred at the outset of these devices. Better regulation and we should see a reduction in the associated fires and exploding batteries. Clear direction on where these should be used will end policies based upon association with tobacco products. From observation I consider them a significant driving hazard - in these warmer months it is frightening the size and density of a vapours plume chuffing from the driver's side window like the steam trains of old.

Edited by user 24 August 2018 10:23:04(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

achrn  
#9 Posted : 24 August 2018 11:34:48(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post
and then we can ban everything else research says is bad for us. Latest report is no such thing as a safe level of alcohol intake.

But, FWIW, we have banned alcohol consumption in the workplace - haven't you?

The MPs intervention had a fairly glaring non-sequitur buried within it - they seem to have accepted that vaping was only 5% as harmful as smoking, but overlooked the fact that 5% as harmful as smoking is still many times more harmful than not vaping, and that harm falls on the would-be passive vapers trying to work alongside.

We banned smoking in the office years before it was illegal.  I'm confident we will be maintaining our ban on vaping in the office even if it is explicitly legal (just as we ban various other sorts of other legal behaviour - like playing music, operating deep-fat-fryers and downloading movies).

thanks 2 users thanked achrn for this useful post.
chris42 on 24/08/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 29/08/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 24 August 2018 13:36:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

In the workplace near machinery - Yes AT work e.g. whilst travelling (overnight stays), or entertaining - No
Roundtuit  
#11 Posted : 24 August 2018 13:36:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

In the workplace near machinery - Yes AT work e.g. whilst travelling (overnight stays), or entertaining - No
biker1  
#12 Posted : 24 August 2018 14:12:04(UTC)
biker1

Don't know a lot about this, although it's always struck me that having glycol as a carrier solvent doesn't sound very healthy, but I suppose their lungs will never freeze up!

I have been amazed as well at the amount of fume from these - I've seen less steam from the Flying Scotsman.

Edited by user 24 August 2018 14:27:36(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
trebor123 on 30/08/2018(UTC)
nic168  
#13 Posted : 24 August 2018 14:14:48(UTC)
nic168

Space invader- the litter I was reffering to was the packaging which seems to be repelled by waste bins. also around here many vapers seem to spit, a seperate but still repellant problem.

Refernce fires- I know of two small fires  at my previous workplace that were identifiedby the fire section as being down to charging units  for E ciggarettes, a couple of others were suspected of being caused by them.

Kate  
#14 Posted : 25 August 2018 07:59:16(UTC)
Kate

Google will give you links to research showing that vaccines cause autism, climate change is a hoax, the moon landings never happened, the US government was behind the 9/11 attacks, etc etc.  It's not a credible way of establishing the state of scientific knowledge. 

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
toe on 26/08/2018(UTC), JohnW on 29/08/2018(UTC)
chris.packham  
#15 Posted : 25 August 2018 08:49:18(UTC)
chris.packham

Actually, I never banned smoking in my office. I just had a sign that said: "If you can smoke without polluting the air I breath, then go ahead."  I take the same view of vaping. Why should I have to inhale the output of this device without any choice?  And who will take the responsibility if it is allowed and then in, say, five years we have cases of respiratory disease/cancer as a result? After all, no-one with responsibility for the decision seems to be saying that it is provde to be harmless.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris.packham for this useful post.
trebor123 on 30/08/2018(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#16 Posted : 25 August 2018 10:23:17(UTC)
Ian Bell2

If humans were meant to smoke or vap, our lungs would be designed by mother nature to do so.

If smoking was an industrial activity, a CoSHH assessment would conclude that smoking wasn't necessary and stop the activity.

RayRapp  
#17 Posted : 28 August 2018 10:22:59(UTC)
RayRapp

There is no activity that does not carry some risk. If, vaping is only 5% dangerous as smoking then it is a sensible risk reducing option. At the end of the day, grown up people should be allowed the choice of whether they wish to partake in a risky activity, as long as it does not affect others.

Meanwhile, with knife and gun crime, drug taking and general anti-social behaviour on the increase vaping hardly registers on my richter scale.

Clark34486  
#18 Posted : 28 August 2018 11:17:45(UTC)
Clark34486

Vaping, for those wanting to get away from tabacco products, should be postively encouraged

To take up vaping just for the fashion value of it? no

A Kurdziel  
#19 Posted : 28 August 2018 11:47:25(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The current state of play in the UK is that vaping indoors is not illegal but that most employers have chosen to ban it when the legal ban on smoking was introduced.  There is no RIGHT to vape in law ie it is still the employers right to choose whether vaping in permitted on their premises.

The report by the MP (which has no legal status; it just what this group of MP think) seems to have taken a lot of the medical profession by surprise.  Many public health people are wary of vaping as there is very little clear evidence as to what the actual health risk is, and they would on the whole prefer a precautionary approach (ie a ban or restrictions it until there is evidence it is safe). Remember this is a recent innovation; twenty years ago none of these products existed. Neither tobacco nor alcohol would pass any sort of modern public health evaluation process; they are available because they have been available for centuries and getting rid of them would be very problematic.

It could be that the MPs are interested in the possibility that vaping can be used to discourage cigarette smoking but this needs to be balanced against the potential health issues of vaping. On thing that struck me from the report was the suggestion that “snus” a Swedish oral tobacco product should be legalised in the UK (it is banned throughout the EU apart from Sweden) A report from PHE noted that although “snus”  is  much safer than cigarettes  because it does  not pose any real risk of  lung diseases including lung cancer it “ has a risk profile that includes possible increases in risk of oesophageal and pancreatic cancer, and of fatal (but not non-fatal) myocardial infarction…”

A strange product for the MPs to be supporting. Perhaps they are not as unbiased as they would like us to believe.

O'Donnell54548  
#20 Posted : 28 August 2018 12:53:59(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Vaping (like smoking) is not an occupational risk, it is a recreational activity and should be treated as such. There are many recreational activities which are banned at work (alcohol, recreational drugs, personal music sets etc), vaping could be classified as one of these. Away from the workplace it's control is outside the remit of the H&S professional, or are we to start banning not only vaping but sugar, high fat foods, energy drinks, chocolate, or anything else proven bad for us by this months experts report.

thanks 3 users thanked O'Donnell54548 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 28/08/2018(UTC), Thomo on 29/08/2018(UTC), RayRapp on 29/08/2018(UTC)
achrn  
#21 Posted : 28 August 2018 13:57:01(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: RayRapp Go to Quoted Post

There is no activity that does not carry some risk. If, vaping is only 5% dangerous as smoking then it is a sensible risk reducing option.

Not for bystanders.  It's an unwelcome risk-increasing situation for non-smoking non-vaping bystanders.  That's the point that seems lost on the pro-vapers - it doesn't reduce risk for these people. 

The choice is not between making staff breathe cigarette smoke and and making them breathe vape vapour, so the assertion that the vapour is 5% as harmful as the cigarette smoke is irrelevant - it sets up a false dichotomy.  The choice (in workplaces at the moment deciding on whether to ban vaping on the premises) is between allowing staff to force their workmates to breathe vape vapour and not allowing it.  In that scenario, not allowing it is the risk-reducing option.

Or are you maintaining that breathing vape vapour is less risky than breathing air without vape vapour in it?

thanks 2 users thanked achrn for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 28/08/2018(UTC), nic168 on 03/09/2018(UTC)
jumponthebandwagon  
#22 Posted : 28 August 2018 14:44:30(UTC)
jumponthebandwagon

Vaping and smoking are two very different beasts, employers should implement sensible controls for both, but as they are so very different, so should the controls be.

Public Health England see an enormous benefit to the nation’s health if all smokers switched to the far safer alternative to smoking, encouraging our colleagues to make the switch is an obvious way for all of us to reduce the risk of these colleagues dying an early and painful death, surely a massive potential employee health win for us all?. This is a view supported by ASH who can never be accused of being influenced by the tobacco industry.

My organisation prohibits smoking anywhere on site, if you wish to smoke you must leave the site. Due to the smell and lingering smoke involved this is a very easy rule to enforce ( unlike a blanket vaping ban which is basically impossible to enforce ).

Vapers however are permitted to remain on site and vape in outside areas, although the risk to non vapers are very likely to be insignificant we considered that large clouds being produced in indoor areas would be very annoying to fellow occupants.

Encouraged by this rule, a significant number of my formerly heavy smoking colleagues have switched completely, probably the most successful health improving initiative I have ever seen in a workplace.

Charlie Brown  
#23 Posted : 28 August 2018 17:43:46(UTC)
Charlie Brown

To be fair to Rayrap, he does say "as long as it doesn't affect others" and I have to agree, if people want to fill their lungs with this product and they do it without others having to breathe it in then fill yer boots.

The point is, the activity should be treated in the same way as cigarettes imo, take it to the smoking shelter where the only other people that may be affected is other people who don't mind destroying their lungs. (unless there are any smokers out there who object to vaping????)

Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post

There is no activity that does not carry some risk. If, vaping is only 5% dangerous as smoking then it is a sensible risk reducing option.

Not for bystanders.  It's an unwelcome risk-increasing situation for non-smoking non-vaping bystanders.  That's the point that seems lost on the pro-vapers - it doesn't reduce risk for these people. 

The choice is not between making staff breathe cigarette smoke and and making them breathe vape vapour, so the assertion that the vapour is 5% as harmful as the cigarette smoke is irrelevant - it sets up a false dichotomy.  The choice (in workplaces at the moment deciding on whether to ban vaping on the premises) is between allowing staff to force their workmates to breathe vape vapour and not allowing it.  In that scenario, not allowing it is the risk-reducing option.

Or are you maintaining that breathing vape vapour is less risky than breathing air without vape vapour in it?

Kate  
#24 Posted : 29 August 2018 07:27:47(UTC)
Kate

When someone has taken up vaping as a way of stopping smoking, it could be counter-productive to send them to the smoking shelter where others are smoking and might influence them to take up smoking again.  They may also feel that if they have to go to the smoking shelter to vape they may as well take up smoking again.  So making them go to the smoking shelter could end up promoting smoking at the expense of vaping and be harmful to their health.

On the other hand, perhaps the effect would be the opposite way, and the vapers may influence the smokers to switch. 

O'Donnell54548  
#25 Posted : 29 August 2018 07:31:40(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

We all agree that smoking is harmful and causes a great deal of suffering to those who smoke, and those who do not (NHS costs for a start). So following the logic of this thread it should be banned, FULL STOP, not restricted but ban the manufacture and selling of tobacco products. Make it illegal to smoke.

We all also know that work causes many accidents, fatalities and long term health problems so best ban that too. Can't have anything in the world that may cause harm afterall.

Once this is out of the way we can then concentrate on banning anything that we feel does not have a positive effect on individuals and society. So lets ban vapes, sugar, salt, contact sports etc. Then we can move onto anything that makes us people. So we can get rid of gender, religion, race, nationality etc. Next we need to get rid of the barrier of language so lets introduce a common global language.

Once we have achieved this we will have a world of bland, non-descript, joyless, risk free individuals, nirvana for some, hell for others.  

Signed: an ex-smoker and non-vaper

thanks 2 users thanked O'Donnell54548 for this useful post.
Kate on 29/08/2018(UTC), Davey on 29/08/2018(UTC)
andybz  
#26 Posted : 29 August 2018 07:37:45(UTC)
andybz

It is very disappointing to hear safety people saying something should be banned because it is a hazard, with no objective review of the risks, or more importantly the risk vs benefit.

#14.  I would say most industrial activities are unnecessary, so that argument does not stack up.  I don't need a car, but it is very nice to have one etc. 

thanks 2 users thanked andybz for this useful post.
O'Donnell54548 on 29/08/2018(UTC), RayRapp on 29/08/2018(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#27 Posted : 29 August 2018 08:51:48(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: andybz Go to Quoted Post

It is very disappointing to hear safety people saying something should be banned because it is a hazard, with no objective review of the risks, or more importantly the risk vs benefit.

#14.  I would say most industrial activities are unnecessary, so that argument does not stack up.  I don't need a car, but it is very nice to have one etc. 

Current we have a ban on our campus. We have no intention of lifting that ban: our campus our rules our ban.  Nothing to do with legislation. As I said nobody has a right to vape.

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Andrew W Walker on 29/08/2018(UTC)
jumponthebandwagon  
#28 Posted : 29 August 2018 09:27:16(UTC)
jumponthebandwagon

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Current we have a ban on our campus. We have no intention of lifting that ban: our campus our rules our ban.  Nothing to do with legislation. As I said nobody has a right to vape.

Out of interest how do you enforce this ban?, with smoking it is very easy due to the smell and lingering smoke, that is not the case with vaping so I suspect you have a ban in name only.

Spacedinvader  
#29 Posted : 29 August 2018 10:54:27(UTC)
Spacedinvader

Originally Posted by: Charlie Brown Go to Quoted Post
(unless there are any smokers out there who object to vaping????)

Some don't like the smell (some flavours are quite obnoxious).

Still waiting for;

Originally Posted by: trebor123 Go to Quoted Post

These items are harmful and contain:

Flavours, propylene glycol, glycerin, nicotine, amounts of toxins, carcinogens, heavy metals, metal nanoparticles and "other substances" .....

There is far more research in the public domain showing how harmful and dangerous - FIRE HAZARD, they are, than those offer them as an alternative to that "nasty smoking"

Fire Services are reporting on a regular basis of incidents involving vaping equipment (allegedly "real" and / or "fake) or not..   A "CE" mark means nothing as there is so many items which are "Fake" making it to the UK market and not stopped from being exposed to the Public domain

proof...

I've been looking for vape waste and can say that I haven't seen one used coil, coil packet or liquid bottle lying about.  Few hundred thousand fag ends but no vape waste.

RayRapp  
#30 Posted : 29 August 2018 12:07:22(UTC)
RayRapp

Originally Posted by: achrn Go to Quoted Post

I never mentioned the workplace in my post - I was referring to recreational activities. I also stated...as long as it does not affect others. Need to read the post in the context it was written. I have no issues banning vaping in the workplace. 

RayRapp  
#31 Posted : 29 August 2018 12:21:35(UTC)
RayRapp

Of course the easy option is to ban things, that's why 'elf and safety often (but not always) has such a bad perception within society. I have always perferred manging risk than to adopt a blanket ban.

Personally, I am sick to death of reading reports which claim all and sundry is bad for you (chocolate but hey not dark chocolate, alcohol but not red wine, etc) then the following week/month another report comes out it's not bad for you!

The bottom line is most things are a low risk in moderation. However if you choose to over indulge, then that's your choice...at least for the present.   

Edited by user 29 August 2018 12:23:06(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

A Kurdziel  
#32 Posted : 29 August 2018 12:32:09(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: jumponthebandwagon Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Out of interest how do you enforce this ban?, with smoking it is very easy due to the smell and lingering smoke, that is not the case with vaping so I suspect you have a ban in name only.

We also have a ban on thieving on the campus. I have just been told that some contactor’s tools are missing. By your logic we should have notices saying that theft is to be encouraged on the campus as a form of self-expression and that any losses are the owners own fault!  

peter gotch  
#33 Posted : 29 August 2018 12:49:25(UTC)
peter gotch

Apologies (possibly) to a very occasional contributor to these Forums - previous postings April 2012, July 2015, March 2016, May 2016 - but thread looks like the work of a troll.

It's certainly generated some interesting debate, some venturing in the Zero Harm is Achievable direction.

Does anyone think that second-hand vape vapour in the open air is going to make one iota of measurable difference to levels of pollution in the air in most conurbations in the world including most in the UK?

As regards littering, I pick up dog poo; also plastic bottles, drinks cans, and the packaging from sweets, crisps, and products sold in well known chains of take-away foods on a daily basis. Can see the difference when the local secondary school pupils return from their holidays. Shall we ban pets (or their owners), and various comestibles (most of which have well documented health downsides)? Shall we ban the shops that sell these comestibles?

Continuing on the litter theme, see lots of cigarette butts and cigarette packaging (and sometimes pick up the latter), but yet to see any real evidence to suggest that vapers are adding to the problem.

What undesirable constituents are put into Trebor mints?

Please don't answer my QQ unless you've got something to say that would be recognised as falling within the general scope of these Forums - the world of work - continuing this thread just risks feeding the trolls.

A Kurdziel  
#34 Posted : 29 August 2018 13:24:55(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Apologies (possibly) to a very occasional contributor to these Forums - previous postings April 2012, July 2015, March 2016, May 2016 - but thread looks like the work of a troll.

It's certainly generated some interesting debate, some venturing in the Zero Harm is Achievable direction.

Does anyone think that second-hand vape vapour in the open air is going to make one iota of measurable difference to levels of pollution in the air in most conurbations in the world including most in the UK?

As regards littering, I pick up dog poo; also plastic bottles, drinks cans, and the packaging from sweets, crisps, and products sold in well known chains of take-away foods on a daily basis. Can see the difference when the local secondary school pupils return from their holidays. Shall we ban pets (or their owners), and various comestibles (most of which have well documented health downsides)? Shall we ban the shops that sell these comestibles?

Continuing on the litter theme, see lots of cigarette butts and cigarette packaging (and sometimes pick up the latter), but yet to see any real evidence to suggest that vapers are adding to the problem.

What undesirable constituents are put into Trebor mints?

Please don't answer my QQ unless you've got something to say that would be recognised as falling within the general scope of these Forums - the world of work - continuing this thread just risks feeding the trolls.

If you really want to stir it up try posting the following- vaping while driving for work: is it legal and if you have an accident is it a RIDDOR?

Please no answers or comments!

O'Donnell54548  
#35 Posted : 29 August 2018 13:39:03(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Please no answers or comments!

A Kurdziel- if you do not want any answers or comments DO NOT post on a forum???????

achrn  
#36 Posted : 29 August 2018 14:38:22(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

I think it might cause physiological harm, and following a sensible precautionary principle, I decide to avoid an exposure that causes me no benefit and might cause me harm. 

However, even if it causes no physiological harm, it causes annoyance and consequently would cause stress if it was repeated (for example, by a workmate sitting adjacent to me each day).

Since I have some input into deciding policies in the workplace, I consequently decide to prioritise the preferences of the majority that don't want to puff vape smoke or fume rather than those of the minority that does. 

andrewjb1  
#37 Posted : 29 August 2018 15:31:30(UTC)
andrewjb1

I think many employers and public places are taking the stance that vaping, like smoking, should not be allowed inside buildings or in the workplace and that you shouldn’t make those that vape stand with the smokers as in theory those that vape are the ones trying to quit smoking. 

If legislation comes in then it should state that the employer needs to provide a separate area to vape away from the smoking area.

From a moral side, I don’t think you shouldn’t vape in front of children, the same as i don’t believe you should smoke in front of children.

E- cigarettes shouldn’t be allowed to be used in entertainment centres and holiday parks and, if it was a nightclub and someone was using a real cigarette it could be easily confused and if you assumed it was a e-cigarette then there is a risk of prosecution.

My personal opinion is that they are less offensive than real cigarettes and although we can’t be sure what harm they may do long term, i believe they are less harmful to others if they were to passive vape but may be causing longer term health problems to the e-cigarette user.  

Swygart25604  
#38 Posted : 29 August 2018 19:37:16(UTC)
Swygart25604

Just to give another dimension to this debate, a cautionary tale in the form of a true story.

A few years back, at my last company, we had a lad who was a smoker, who turned to vaping to stop. He got into vaping so much that he even bought parts to make his own, ever larger, vapers. Pretty soon, he had a very expensive collection of them and smoked all sorts of exotic flavours. Generated more vapour that the Flying Scotsman, to use the analogy below, of which he was inordinately proud. He was also into computer gaming, and had built his own souped-up computer, specifically for the purpose. He did all this in the comfort of his own home, in a little office that he had.

After several months of what must have been fairly intensive vaping and gaming, his computer packed up.

On opening said computer, he found that his graphics card was completely gummed up with sticky deposits that had condensed on to it. £600 for a new graphics card is expensive, but an easy fix.........but what about his lungs??

Needless to say, he was horrified, and all of the vaping stuff was immediately put on E-Bay for sale to recoup the cash.

And some people now think that vaping is acceptable somehow......??

thanks 1 user thanked Swygart25604 for this useful post.
nic168 on 03/09/2018(UTC)
trebor123  
#39 Posted : 30 August 2018 08:45:12(UTC)
trebor123

Tough basically ban these items..  there are some weird replies here !!!  are these people just smokers hiding behind their screen of smoke !!

Simple - a ban and do it now..  this country is too soft to those who choose to smoke and harm themselves and others..  

jumponthebandwagon  
#40 Posted : 30 August 2018 09:51:23(UTC)
jumponthebandwagon

Originally Posted by: Swygart25604 Go to Quoted Post

Just to give another dimension to this debate, a cautionary tale in the form of a true story.

A few years back, at my last company, we had a lad who was a smoker, who turned to vaping to stop. He got into vaping so much that he even bought parts to make his own, ever larger, vapers. Pretty soon, he had a very expensive collection of them and smoked all sorts of exotic flavours. Generated more vapour that the Flying Scotsman, to use the analogy below, of which he was inordinately proud. He was also into computer gaming, and had built his own souped-up computer, specifically for the purpose. He did all this in the comfort of his own home, in a little office that he had.

After several months of what must have been fairly intensive vaping and gaming, his computer packed up.

On opening said computer, he found that his graphics card was completely gummed up with sticky deposits that had condensed on to it. £600 for a new graphics card is expensive, but an easy fix.........but what about his lungs??

Needless to say, he was horrified, and all of the vaping stuff was immediately put on E-Bay for sale to recoup the cash.

And some people now think that vaping is acceptable somehow......??

“Some people” like these.

Cancer Research UK – “Evidence so far indicates e-cigarettes are far less harmful than tobacco and may help smokers to cut down or stop smoking. We do not believe there is justification for an indoor ban on e-cigarettes either on the basis of potential harm to bystander from second harm vapour or that they renormalize smoking tobacco”

Royal College of Physicians – “e-cigarettes are significantly less harmful than tobacco cigarettes. In the UK, harm reduction is a recognised element of comprehensive tobacco control. E-cigarettes are the most popular smoking cessation aid in the UK and are also effective in helping people to stop smoking. There are as yet no identified health risks from breathing on other people’s e-cigarette vapour.

American Cancer Society – “based on currently available evidence, using current generation e-cigarettes is less harmful than smoking cigarettes”

British Lung Foundation – “There’s more evidence than ever that e-cigarettes are safer than smoking, and a way to give up altogether. Swapping cigarettes for an e-cig can improve your symptoms of lung conditions like Asthma and COPD”

Public Health England – “Our new review reinforces the finding that vaping is a fraction of the risk of smoking, at least 95% less harmful and of negligible risk to bystanders. Yet over half of smokers either falsely believe that vaping is as harmful as smoking or just don’t know”

US Food & Drug Administration – “Make no mistake, We see the possibility for ENDS products like e-cigarettes to provide a potentially less harmful alternative for currently addicted individual adult smokers who still want to get access to satisfying levels of nicotine without many of the harmful effects that come with the combustion of tobacco”

thanks 2 users thanked jumponthebandwagon for this useful post.
Kate on 30/08/2018(UTC), Steve e ashton on 30/08/2018(UTC)
Self and Hasty  
#41 Posted : 30 August 2018 15:16:22(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Banned indoors here, treated as cigarettes. Smoking is still anti-social and unnecessary, not to be done in work time, if employees/contractors/visitors want to smoke on their breaks they can use the smoking shelter provided. 

Even if it is pronounced legal and safe to smoke them inside/at work by the governement, we wont be allowing them in work time indoors because it's unprofessional, unnecessary, distracts from work if nothing else, has oral contact which could lead to cross-contamination of products, ingestion of chemicals etc and ill health, and even if it's only 5% AS BAD as smoking cigarettes it's still NOT GOOD.

thanks 4 users thanked Self and Hasty for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 31/08/2018(UTC), trebor123 on 31/08/2018(UTC), nic168 on 03/09/2018(UTC), chris42 on 04/09/2018(UTC)
trebor123  
#42 Posted : 31 August 2018 09:29:42(UTC)
trebor123

Self n hasty we must be on the same song sheet

nasty..  dangerous and unwanted..  I say again ban them now !!