Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Arun Gopal Menon  
#1 Posted : 25 August 2018 13:29:19(UTC)
Arun Gopal Menon

I seek info / comments on the acceptable time to complete accident investigation for a serious accident involving overseas workers.

I believe it is not humanly possible to complete the full investigation in 1 shift or even 48 hours. 

A full investigation may take days or weeks to get all information regarding Risk Assessments / Method Statements, past accidents, corrective measures identified / implemented, monitoring, any recurrence, etc.

Pl comment. Thanks

Kate  
#2 Posted : 25 August 2018 13:48:16(UTC)
Kate

Serious incidents do take days or weeks to investigate fully. The initial investigation will be focused on preserving information and getting the basic facts.  There will be a lot more to do later to complete a full investigation.

Arun Gopal Menon  
#3 Posted : 25 August 2018 14:27:53(UTC)
Arun Gopal Menon

Thanks Kate.

There are many jokers who want H&S Professionals to do Miracles in 2 days!!

Many people at positions where what matters is WHO you know, not WHAT you know!!

Ha ha !!

KieranD  
#4 Posted : 26 August 2018 16:37:18(UTC)
KieranD

Arun

There can be valid reasons why a prompt report is required in a very tight timescale.

A skilful writer simply qualifies very very clearly limitations of the report due to limited time, and indicates further research needed.

Arun Gopal Menon  
#5 Posted : 27 August 2018 13:09:30(UTC)
Arun Gopal Menon

Thx Kieran. I dont understand how we can comlete an investigation within 48 hrs for an accident that happenned to an overseas worket who who comes for a job into our premises.

He is based abroad and complies to the parent company HSE procedures.

We need to investigate accross the board in detail. To much information to be procured and analysed.

This is not about just putting as 'Human error' and completing the investigation, somehow.

Hope you understand the situation.

Thomo  
#6 Posted : 28 August 2018 06:34:46(UTC)
Thomo

Gathering of evidence and witness statements photographs and the like should be as soon as possible is that what the 48hrs is in reference to. If so then yes that is acceptable but as all have stated the complete investigate and outcome could take years if it’s complex.

From my experience low level takes up to a week to close all issues and further questions. medium 3-6 months complex a year to final close.

Kate  
#7 Posted : 28 August 2018 07:34:20(UTC)
Kate

I do agree with what both Kieran and Thomo allude to - that an initial investigation and an interim report might be required in such a short period, following which the investigation will continue.

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 28 August 2018 12:59:44(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Who is imposing this timescale and why?

Forty eight hours to record and initiate an investigation process is ok (a bit slow in fact but taking into accounts weekends etc it makes sense) bit to expect a complete closed investigation in 48 hours is very arbitrary. Is it because they just want it closed off and are happy with some sort of headline root cause like “human failure” rather than getting into\the real nitty gritty which is usually some sort of management failure.

Charlie Brown  
#9 Posted : 28 August 2018 17:56:15(UTC)
Charlie Brown

I have had investigations drag on for weeks while waiting for technical reports from third parties but our policy was always to submit a report as soon as possible and no later than 48 hours and if it was a simple case then that was generally long enough to establish root cause and recommendations but if not then the reasons why the investigation was ongoing was laid out in the report.

Since you are dealing with incidents that happen in other countries I would imagine it can be problematic but you should still be able to produce a preliminary report in that time.

andybz  
#10 Posted : 29 August 2018 07:30:34(UTC)
andybz

Part of the problem is that the term "investigation" means different things to different people.  It is much better to split the process into two stages:

1. The initial investigation, which is mostly concerned with gathering evidence and developing the timeline of events occurring at the time, and just before the incident.  This can and should be completed quite quickly. 

2. Analysis, which is where the real reason for the incident is established.  This can take a very long time.

This is alluded to in HSG 245, but I wish it were more explicit.

You may find this useful http://simplesensiblesaf...ion-recording-reporting/

thanks 1 user thanked andybz for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 29/08/2018(UTC)