Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thunderchild  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2018 07:29:26(UTC)
thunderchild

Morning all!

Having looked through the PUWER regs as applied to power presses (L112) when it comes to training there is no specific external training course stipulated. The document states:

"Regulation 9 Training

(1) Every employer shall ensure that all persons who use work equipment have received adequate training for purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using the work equipment, any risks which such use may entail and precautions to be taken.

(2) Every employer shall ensure that any of his employees who supervises or manages the use of work equipment has received adequate training for purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using the work equipment, any risks which such use may entail and precautions to be taken."

Now all of our setters that we currently have, have been doing this for 30+ years. We do have supervisor setters who will give the final sign off on the set plus that the safetyguards are all in place (manual press). We have never had an accident involving a press either.

We have one individual now stating (after 3+ years at this company) that he is legally not allowed to set the presses as he has no formal qualification. His job description states that is his main task, set and operate the press. Is he right? I know there are a miriad of companies that provide this training as there always are for anything these day.

He is competent in what he is doing from his years of experience, there is always a secondary check and sign off prior to the press running. I have no worries about him doing the job, were back to him having done it "since God was a boy". We think there could be an underlying issue with this operative that is actually causing the issue and he wants to move roles within the site but he is using this as a problem. We have offered to send him on a training course to give him the official qualification which he has refused.

Thoughts?

Kate  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2018 07:33:06(UTC)
Kate

The definition of "training" includes "on the job" training where someone shows you what to do and checks that you are doing it correctly.  Presumably (since you say it is his job and he is competent) he has had this kind of training, even if it hasn't been documented.

thunderchild  
#3 Posted : 29 August 2018 07:39:06(UTC)
thunderchild

Kate, that is exactly what we have told him but he won't have it. He's also compounded things by speacking to training providers, who guess what? want to sell a training course! A course he wont attend anyway......head + wall + bang.

He has years of experience, he's had on-the-job training for years in previous companies before he came to us, he is capable of doing the job. I do believe that it's now a case of he does't want to. He was quite happy to do it when he came for the role but now, not so much.

Thanks for the reply, I've been going round in circles with this for weeks now. 

UncleFester  
#4 Posted : 29 August 2018 09:29:43(UTC)
UncleFester

So this individual has no formal qualification but refuses to take up the opportunity to gain a formal qualification?!

There's no pleasing some people!

Thomo  
#5 Posted : 29 August 2018 10:23:12(UTC)
Thomo

This is a HR problem then not a H/S, and Im biting my lip I so want to say something.

thunderchild  
#6 Posted : 29 August 2018 10:59:20(UTC)
thunderchild

UncleFester, tell me about it!

Thomo, its now being passed back their way to deal with along with his manager. I doubt h will agree with me even though I have given him the guidance document. The training company have told him what he wants to hear so they are right and not me. I doubt this is the last I will hear of it.

Kate  
#7 Posted : 29 August 2018 16:00:15(UTC)
Kate

The training company are not the authority, HSE are and they do recognise that training may be on the job.