Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rchristmas  
#1 Posted : 29 August 2018 15:57:00(UTC)
rchristmas

Hey

We have a contractor coming in to carry out beauty treatments on our employees on our premises (nails, beard grooming, facials), etc. and I wanted to know what your thoughts were on that company providing COSHH assessments or at the very least safety data sheets?

We have requested these documents and the company have said that all their treatments are off the shelf products and so COSHH doesn't apply to them. 

Where would you stand with this? Am I being over the top asking for this information?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 29 August 2018 16:13:41(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Yes you are being excessive. Also COSHH does not apply because the following applies the Cosmetics Directive EC 1223/2009

thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
rchristmas on 29/08/2018(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 31 August 2018 09:16:19(UTC)
A Kurdziel

CLP does not apply to cosmetics but COSHH does and if you were a manufacturer of cosmetics you would be expected to manage them under COSHH. On the other hand what you seem to be suggesting does not in my estimation constitute a work activity (unless you re forcing people to have a facial!) and as such COSHH will not apply.  The people having the cosmetic treatments will be protected under consumer not Health and Safety legislation.