Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joeryan  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2018 07:46:16(UTC)
joeryan

Hi,

We have a compound on our site that belongs to another organisation and they require frequent access through our site to their facility. While I am content with control of contractors on our site, the organisation that owns this compound use contractors to carry out maitanence on their behalf. We require all our contractors to provide RAMS, however this orgnasation is refusing to provide this information as they state that the contractors they employ are working on their facility on their behalf.

Does anyone have any experiance of this? 

Thanks 

mikecarr  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2018 08:02:05(UTC)
mikecarr

Originally Posted by: joeryan Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

We have a compound on our site that belongs to another organisation and they require frequent access through our site to their facility. While I am content with control of contractors on our site, the organisation that owns this compound use contractors to carry out maitanence on their behalf. We require all our contractors to provide RAMS, however this orgnasation is refusing to provide this information as they state that the contractors they employ are working on their facility on their behalf.

Does anyone have any experiance of this? 

Thanks 

How are they passing through your site? Are there any traffic managment issues are they passing on foot through the compound? I coud see that as amybe something that would be an issue for you

Apart from that if the contractors are working on their behalf in their space I cant see it as your problem as i'd put  long as they have a safe route through your site.

Good communication with the other orginisation and maybe some formal agreement with them

Kate  
#3 Posted : 30 August 2018 09:18:02(UTC)
Kate

I have worked in a similar situation where the access to another company's site was through ours.  Our site was a chemical plant so we cared a lot about who was on it and where they went and what they did.

Anyone entering our site in a vehicle (instead of parking in our external car park) had to check in with our gatehouse, who would only let them through if they knew who they were and what they were up to.  The other company gave us a list of their staff and numberplates so their staff were just waved through.  Anyone else had to speak to security.  If they were going to the other site security would give them directions and tell them the rules (essentially to go straight through our site to theirs with no stopping and definitely no smoking).

What they did on the other company's site was the other company's business which we had no right to inquire into or to assess. 

We did of course have a right and duty to know about any activities on the other company's site that could affect our safety, and they likewise about ours - especially as we were both COMAH sites so had a specific duty to collaborate in regard to major accident hazards.  This was done by direct contact between the two companies to discuss significant issues.  It didn't go to the level of expecting to see RAMS for every contractor that came to each other's sites.

As you can imagine on two COMAH sites, we had a lot of regulatory visits.  This arrangement did not worry the regulators.

Your responsibility for the other company's contractors is limited to the period when they are passing through your site - what they do on the other site is for the other company to control.

So your life can be easier than you are making it!