Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
matelot1965  
#1 Posted : 05 September 2018 18:32:28(UTC)
matelot1965

Hi All, I have just started a new role and the company have received a renewal request for membership of the British Safety Council (Membership. Tools and Information) I have been asked if I want to renew the membership. For me the cost seems a bit steep for what is on offer. I would appreciate the thoughts of others in respect of value for money, service and what benefits membership would provide over and above IOSH membership.
Kate  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2018 19:34:24(UTC)
Kate

My previous employer joined and even when I got a login I saw no benefit to me.  They had some resources but nothing I wanted to use except things you had to pay for such as posters.  Now the posters were not at all expensive but as it would have meant navigating my employer's purchasing procedures it wasn't worth it.  And why use BSC guidance when HSE guidance is both freely available and authoritative?

I think there was a discount on training.  We did get some staff training which didn't get particularly good feedback from staff, partly because it was so generic, not tailored at all to our type of organisation.

The only other thing we used it for was to say their information line was available in case of my absence.  I don't think it could have replaced me though in answering safety queries!

I left before renewal came up, but had I stayed, I would have argued against renewing.

So ... that's a "No" from me.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 05 September 2018 19:42:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

Nice piece of reception decoration at significant cost - and unlike ISO certificates nothing your competitors can make business capital from if you choose to leave.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 05 September 2018 19:42:34(UTC)
Roundtuit

Nice piece of reception decoration at significant cost - and unlike ISO certificates nothing your competitors can make business capital from if you choose to leave.

matelot1965  
#5 Posted : 05 September 2018 20:14:30(UTC)
matelot1965

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post
<p>My previous employer joined and even when I got a login I saw no benefit to me.&nbsp; They had some resources but nothing I wanted to use except things you had to pay for such as posters.&nbsp; Now the posters were not at all expensive but as it would have meant navigating my employer's purchasing procedures it wasn't worth it.&nbsp; And why use BSC guidance when HSE guidance is both freely available and authoritative? </p><p>I think there was a discount on training.&nbsp; We did get some staff training which didn't get particularly good feedback from staff, partly because it was so generic, not tailored at all to our type of organisation. </p><p>The only other thing we used it for was to say their information line was available in case of my absence.&nbsp; I don't think it could have replaced me though in answering safety queries! </p><p>I left before renewal came up, but had I stayed, I would have argued against renewing. </p><p>So ... that's a "No" from me. </p>
Thanks Kate really good in-depth and informative post.
matelot1965  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2018 20:19:13(UTC)
matelot1965

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post
<p>Nice piece of reception decoration at significant&nbsp;cost - and unlike ISO certificates nothing your competitors can make business capital from if you choose to leave. </p>
Thanks Roundtuit . I think you and I have the same thought process
Kate  
#7 Posted : 06 September 2018 18:47:45(UTC)
Kate

I'm pretty sure the logic behind our membership was the (delusional) prospect of getting the sword, which is the highest class of 'reception decoration' possible!

matelot1965  
#8 Posted : 06 September 2018 19:29:28(UTC)
matelot1965

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post
I'm pretty sure the logic behind our membership was the (delusional) prospect of getting the sword, which is the highest class of 'reception decoration' possible!
An expensive decoration at £480. Three years worth of IOSH membership there lol