Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CAD  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2018 13:20:09(UTC)
CAD

Afternoon all, First time poster, I’ll try and keep this as brief as possible.

I currently work in a Health and Safety team in a support capacity. So I have some exposure to the H&S world.

I’m keen to extend my knowledge and want to study to enable me to push on my career.

My employer has agreed to part fund the NEBOSH general certificate however placed some conditions to it which don’t really compliment my learning style. In short, they’re keen for me to do it via distance learning and the time given for completion is in my opinion somewhat difficult. For an exam based qualification I feel I would be better suited to classroom based learning however course work based is my preference.

Upon looking at other options, I came across the NCRQ and my initial reaction is quite good. The learning style matches with me and the reviews are generally very good.

My employer has affectively suggested that it’s not worth me completing as they would look over this qualification in favour of the NEBOSH, despite it being recognised by IOSH as an equivalent standard.

My question here really, is for any potential employers. If you had two candidates in front of you with similar experience however one went down the NEBOSH route and the other NCRQ which would you favour?

Most of my research so far suggests a 50/50 split, however concerning to me is there are a few H&S professionals who have not heard of this qualification.  

So I’m stuck in a bit of a predicament. My preference on the face of it is self funding the NCRQ whilst working however my major concern is the future career prospects.

Can anyone share any view points at all just so I can weigh up my options in full.

Thanks in advance

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2018 14:58:12(UTC)
George_Young

I expressed my opinion on the other forum you posted on. My name on other forum is SKD. I’m glad I studied NCRQ, I was accepted on a the NEBOSH master degree programme from using the NCRQ diploma and also had job interviews as a result of having a diploma. Also a lot more job adverts are asking for diploma, NVQ, Etc. This means that employers and recruiters are open to more than just NEBOSH these days. Regards George
jim4244  
#3 Posted : 16 September 2018 04:44:49(UTC)
jim4244

If the NCRQ route had been available when I studied NEBOSH I would have chosen NCRQ.

I believe that the NCRQ is far more relevant in the modern workplace and gets you thinking outside the box rather than just being able to remember specific "NEBOSH Command Words" 

Basically, if you have a good memory and stick to the NEBOSH answer technique, you can pass without having any exposure to real time workplace hazards.

NCRQ sets scenarios that you are likely to come across in the workplace and encourages you to do your own research to identify the hazards, identify the risk levels and then introduce control measures.

I think that NCRQ has left NEBOSH back in the 20th Century.....