Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Jonsey1983HGL  
#1 Posted : 11 September 2018 14:35:44(UTC)
Jonsey1983HGL

Hi Guys,

Could someone advise on the following images? I've completed an inspection on a ladder that has dent on 2 rungs but the rest of the ladder is in good condition and the dents seems only minor. Any help would be much appeciated;

http://i67.tinypic.com/2z5izah.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/v5wkn8.jpg

Kind regards

Trevor

thanks 1 user thanked Jonsey1983HGL for this useful post.
Chris Garland on 17/12/2021(UTC)
Self and Hasty  
#2 Posted : 11 September 2018 14:44:03(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Given the state of the ladders I have retired I'd call your ladders brand new. 

Those dents don't affect the integrity of the ladders structure, nor affect the joints, welds, or tread, so I would make a note on the inspection that there are minor 'wear and tear' dents on ladder X and that they will be monitoed and reviewed, ask the persons using the ladders, or their supervisor, to check the ladders and retire them if it gets worse.

But of course it's your judgement call.

SteveDClarke  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2018 18:28:23(UTC)
SteveDClarke

Hi, in 2005 the HSE published a very useful pdf on ladders entitled “Safety in the selection and use of ladders (Produced by: HSE Safety Unit Injuries Reduction Programme). It was 98 pages in length fully illustrated with many pics of ladders with minor and major damage brilliant as a training aid. Sadly no longer appears to be available although I have copy myself. Cheers Steve

Ian Bell2  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2018 19:17:29(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Acceptable damage. I would be more concerned with dents that had sharp bends/'V' at the bottom of the impact point - as these would be stress raisers

Or if the rung was loose in the upright stays of the ladder or if the weld/swage was cracked

Don't think I would have passed comments on these 2 photos/ladders for damage being unacceptable

Eddscott  
#5 Posted : 14 September 2018 08:02:27(UTC)
Eddscott

The "damage" does not detract from its intended use, nor reduce the safety of a user when using it. 

I would always look to assess it against the following

1. Is the risk of an accidnet increased by this defect 

2. Does the defect effect the overall function of the asset

3. Does the defect jepodise the structual integrity of the asset

- I would suggest no - I would make a note, but leave it as normal usage and acceptable.

Chris Garland  
#6 Posted : 17 December 2021 17:52:20(UTC)
Chris Garland

Hi folks. Sorry for commenting on a really old post!

When I was trained as a ladder inspector, I was told that anything bigger than the diameter of, or deeper than the thickness of a 20p coin would constitute significant structural weakness & therefore necessitate the repair or distruction of the ladder.

Without being able to see the images at the start of this post, does anyone have an thoughts on the above policy, other than it being potentially expensive for the client?

Many thanks

Chris

peter gotch  
#7 Posted : 18 December 2021 14:38:25(UTC)
peter gotch

Since this thread has been brought back this is one of those "how long is a piece of string QQ"!

Ladders are bound to get minor wear and tear during their life, and it's about making a judgement as to when that wear and tear means that the integrity of the ladder is such that is no longer fit for purpose.

In its guidance on pre-use inspections in its Code of Practice (free download) the Ladder Association says:

Rungs and steps (treads) - Check none are missing, loose, bent, excessively worn, corroded or damaged and the fixings are secure.

Which in effect comes back to determining whether a "dent" is excessive - that will depend on size and shape, e.g. if it creates a deformity that will act as point of stressed weakness.

chris42  
#8 Posted : 18 December 2021 20:03:04(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: SteveDClarke Go to Quoted Post

Hi, in 2005 the HSE published a very useful pdf on ladders entitled “Safety in the selection and use of ladders (Produced by: HSE Safety Unit Injuries Reduction Programme). It was 98 pages in length fully illustrated with many pics of ladders with minor and major damage brilliant as a training aid. Sadly no longer appears to be available although I have copy myself. Cheers Steve

Yes you can get it here

https://web.archive.org/web/20121118235458/http://www.hse.gov.uk/falls/downloads/6.pdf

Do close the would you like to donate bit with the small x in RH corner, if you select maby later it puts another box over down load option. Sadly the two photos are significant damage so not that helpful. I did'nt read the text though.

If like does not work google the title in quotes with HSE in front, then link at bottom of the WIKI page

Chris

thanks 3 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 19/12/2021(UTC), Accidentia on 22/12/2021(UTC), aud on 02/01/2022(UTC)