Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikecarr  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2018 11:08:51(UTC)
mikecarr

Hi all

I'm  looking for some ideas for some lunch and learn topics e:g getting a guest speaker in to give a presentation over lunch

We are a predomitaly an  office based orginisation. I was thinking of some well-being/ergonomics type of presentation. Has anyone done something like this before?

My only worry is that it could open the flood gates for peole wanting sit/stand desks etc if the presenter reccomends them. 

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2018 13:00:24(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I did something similar, in lab based set, up before. Got a good response as it was informal and people were more relaxed and engaged. If you are bringing in guest speakers make sure that they get the brief and that the aim of the talk not to enable them to drum up  business but to raise awareness of issues.

nic168  
#3 Posted : 28 September 2018 12:08:30(UTC)
nic168

How about some practical demontrations that people can join in. You can demonstrate how heavy a human head is with a family size frozen chicken or a medicine ball. Few people realise just how heavy ( 10-12lbs) it is and it does help demonstrate why posture is so important when seated at a desk all day.
thanks 1 user thanked nic168 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 28/09/2018(UTC)
zoziano  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2018 00:22:49(UTC)
zoziano

theres alot of sites can help you 

achrn  
#5 Posted : 19 October 2018 11:49:01(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: mikecarr Go to Quoted Post

I'm  looking for some ideas for some lunch and learn topics e:g getting a guest speaker in to give a presentation over lunch

Are you part of someone's supply chain?

We are office-based engineering consultants (ie, mainly desk-based designers) and I occasionally invite in someone from contractors (ie, the people that have to actually use our output) in with the promise of a room full of designers to whom they can try and convey whatever message they like.  Some of the invitees jump at the opportunity, and I always get a good turnout from the designers even though it's entirely optional - not solely due to the sandwiches we lay on.  It almost always has some safety or health aspect, though I actually don't constrain the people coming in to such matters.

Construction has this fairly defiend consultant (designer) : contractor (builder) split, so it's particualrly relevant to us, but if you have any defined general cliass of client / user / consumer of your product you might get something similar, and it might be health / safety relevant.