Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RebbekahT  
#1 Posted : 09 October 2018 13:02:38(UTC)
RebbekahT

Hello, 

We have recently had a new tenant move into one of our buildings. They have approached us today to say that 2 members of thier staff and a service user have experienced migraines since they moved in. 

I am of course checking the LUX levels in the room they use and whether they have DSE's, however, am i missing something? 

Any advice is very welcome!? 

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 09 October 2018 13:31:04(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Migraine is a specific medical condition usually involving a severe one sided headache, tunnel vison and other unpleasant side-effects.  I’m not sure you mean that 3 people have been confirmed with full blown migraine or is it that three people have complained of headaches.

If it its headaches then there could be loads of causes:

• Lower humidity
  • Noise- especially low frequency noise
  • Volatile chemicals from carpets furnishings, phot copies
  • Lighting as mentioned not just the levels, but the frequency of the lights ( ie the colour)  and flicker which might be invisible but can still cause problems

Finally there could be socio-psychological issues: people have moved into a new environment which they might not really like and subconsciously they might   react by exaggerating certain symptoms especially those associated with the things mentioned above. One person complains of a splitting headache and others “catch” the headache. See Royal Free Sickness for a description of this.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
nic168 on 09/10/2018(UTC), RebbekahT on 09/10/2018(UTC)
nic168  
#3 Posted : 09 October 2018 14:15:52(UTC)
nic168

Hi Rebbekah, I had something similar when I first started here- a little cluster of migrainey- headache type complaints.Not in the same office but all on the same floor.

I dealt with them individually , listened to their concerns and theories, directed them to the Migraine trust support group website,  DSE reviews etc. I found that it has cleared up- or at least they are managing better. I think it was a combination of showing concern and an interest in the problem. pointing at some useful tools gave the individuals some control which always seems to help.

Previously when this has come up we have looked at Lux levels, peopels tolerance and prefernce does seem to change with age.

When you chceking the Lux levels- look for flickering bulbs- some people are more sensitive than others.

You did not mention the office layout, If it is a long open plan area check to see if the bulbs are all the same type- variations in wavelength down the length of the room can affect some people.  You can sometimes see this when you look down the room, there will be areas where this light looks greyish.

thanks 2 users thanked nic168 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 09/10/2018(UTC), RebbekahT on 09/10/2018(UTC)
RebbekahT  
#4 Posted : 09 October 2018 17:31:06(UTC)
RebbekahT

Thank you for your advice on this. It’s been very helpful this is a long room so I will check the bulb variations if any. Great point about signposting and the report was for 3 people suffering with migraines, however I’m not sure these are medically confirmed so could be headaches, this is something I look into also
nic168  
#5 Posted : 15 October 2018 12:55:07(UTC)
nic168

Rebbekah, I had a chat with one of the migraine sufferes this week and they said that they were much better since we tried a colour filter on the screen. This was suggested by an opthalmist , who advised a colour filter for Dyslexia and for Irlens syndrome.

TBH I am not entirely convinced of the science behind the "coloured screen as a solution for all sorts of things " but  it was a cheap and easy thing to try, and it seems to have worked for this person. We got this from Posturite and used an online checker to determine which colour.

Nic

thanks 1 user thanked nic168 for this useful post.
RebbekahT on 16/10/2018(UTC)
RebbekahT  
#6 Posted : 16 October 2018 11:24:40(UTC)
RebbekahT

Originally Posted by: nic168 Go to Quoted Post

Rebbekah, I had a chat with one of the migraine sufferes this week and they said that they were much better since we tried a colour filter on the screen. This was suggested by an opthalmist , who advised a colour filter for Dyslexia and for Irlens syndrome.

TBH I am not entirely convinced of the science behind the "coloured screen as a solution for all sorts of things " but  it was a cheap and easy thing to try, and it seems to have worked for this person. We got this from Posturite and used an online checker to determine which colour.

Nic

Martin Gray  
#7 Posted : 17 October 2018 19:44:23(UTC)
Martin Gray

Something I found following an office move and the office layout.  We completed DSE assessments on all the staff and had several who had problems with headaches, the lux rating on the workstation were not the problem.  When I sat in the chair and looked at the screen the person had a ceiling light within their line of sightjust above the top of the screen.  By changing there position we managed to eliminate the light fitting and surprisingly no more headaches.

This effected 4 people within the office.

Martin

thanks 2 users thanked Martin Gray for this useful post.
RebbekahT on 18/10/2018(UTC), nic168 on 22/10/2018(UTC)
RebbekahT  
#8 Posted : 18 October 2018 07:21:45(UTC)
RebbekahT

Thanks Martin, this is something i will look at in my next visit. 

74_C San  
#9 Posted : 23 October 2018 06:52:29(UTC)
74_C San

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Migraine is a specific medical condition usually involving a severe one sided headache, tunnel vison and other unpleasant side-effects.  I’m not sure you mean that 3 people have been confirmed with full blown migraine or is it that three people have complained of headaches.

If it its headaches then there could be loads of causes:

• Lower humidity
  • Noise- especially low frequency noise
  • Volatile chemicals from carpets furnishings, phot copies
  • Lighting as mentioned not just the levels, but the frequency of the lights ( ie the colour)  and flicker which might be invisible but can still cause problems

Finally there could be socio-psychological issues: people have moved into a new environment which they might not really like and subconsciously they might   react by exaggerating certain symptoms especially those associated with the things mentioned above. One person complains of a splitting headache and others “catch” the headache. See Royal Free Sickness for a description of this.

Yeah thats right! But Is there any remedy for this that you know or some medicine for relief from its pain.

Thanks in advance.

A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 23 October 2018 08:20:21(UTC)
A Kurdziel

As you are new user I should point that this is an H&S forum not a medical information site and none of are doctors and none of can describe or prescribe medical treatments.

74_C San  
#11 Posted : 25 October 2018 06:43:04(UTC)
74_C San

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

As you are new user I should point that this is an H&S forum not a medical information site and none of are doctors and none of can describe or prescribe medical treatments.

Thanks for help. I know about H&S forum eventhough i asked. Again thanx.

- vidmate

Clark34486  
#12 Posted : 25 October 2018 10:40:07(UTC)
Clark34486

I don't know what type of establishment this is and layout etc. and I may be way off the mark but I would also consider ensuring that there aren't are far greater risks such as Carbon Monoxide build up within the specified area. I have noticed that are radiators are mysteriously 'on' over the last couple of weeks even though I am one of the types that does not like heating on in the office!