Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
eele  
#1 Posted : 10 October 2018 14:43:20(UTC)
eele

I am looking to set up our own internal approved contractors list

What information do you think I would need to get form these contractors?

Zyggy  
#2 Posted : 10 October 2018 17:41:28(UTC)
Zyggy

I remember some years ago the HSE were investigating an incident with one of our contractors & asked us to demonstrate how we vetted them beforehand. Luckily we were able to demonstrate that we had done our homework so the HSE were happy with our approach & left us alone. However, when something similar happened in an associated organisation & they asked how the contractor had been appointed, the answer of "they had the biggest advert in Yellow Pages" did not go down as well!! The sort of information we asked for to get on our "select list" included: evidence of PL & EL insurance; evidence of being in the Safety Schemes in Procurement (SSIP); copy of a specific RA & Method Statement, not a generic one & a copy of the Company H&S Policy. These provided basic information, but depending on the nature of the work, further information would be requested. I am sure that others will have their own ideas or comments (especially SSIP!), but it worked for us. Zyggy.
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 10 October 2018 20:16:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Basic PQQ that picks up matters highlighted by Zyggy - liability insurance, RAMS, policies, scheme memberships and company certification including ISO.

And once you go on the "approved" list the excel sheet we use highlights when certificates and insurances expire so that those ordering contractors check, and only order if everything is current - if they specifically need the contractor they contact them regarding expriring documents and have these available before an order is placed.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 10 October 2018 20:16:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Basic PQQ that picks up matters highlighted by Zyggy - liability insurance, RAMS, policies, scheme memberships and company certification including ISO.

And once you go on the "approved" list the excel sheet we use highlights when certificates and insurances expire so that those ordering contractors check, and only order if everything is current - if they specifically need the contractor they contact them regarding expriring documents and have these available before an order is placed.

Xavier123  
#5 Posted : 11 October 2018 13:59:03(UTC)
Xavier123

How about why they get to stay on the list once you've produced it i.e. monitoring / verification data and feedback.

It's not enough to 'hire and forget', one must also ensure you're hitting the target.  So in that regard you'll want them to provide you with information about how they will complete your undertaking that helps act as a performance standard in relation to h&s.

ashleywillson  
#6 Posted : 12 October 2018 14:42:43(UTC)
ashleywillson

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

This 100%

It is exactly what I do. Make sure you hold all like sized companies to the same standards too. Once I have the results I grade the companies. A lower score will result in a 12 month renewal, then 24 month with the est results getting a 36 month period before being asked to re-submit. You can get away with doing it just once, by things change. This seems to work for us and we connect it to payments and to CIS as well so we get it all in one fel swoop so to speak!

A

Woolf13  
#7 Posted : 15 October 2018 12:09:00(UTC)
Woolf13

You should get a copy of the BSI PAS 91:2013 construction pre-qualification questionnaires. That will take you through step by step the information you should be asking for and the questions you should be asking. You should be able to set up and taylor your own spreadsheet from this information to suit your needs.

The basics you should be asking for are (this list is not exhaustive):

• The organisation's Health and Safety and Environmental policies (where appropriate)           
  • Confirmation of insurance cover - employer's liability, public liability and if appropriate professional indemnity                                                                                                      
  • Health, safety and environmental risk assessments and method statements for the works being undertaken               
  • Details of the skills, knowledge, expereince and training and qualifications relevant to work being carried out
  • Details of the appropriate supervision and monitoring which will be implemented
  • Details of accidents/incidents and any prosecutions which have taken place over the last five years

Best of luck.

boblewis  
#8 Posted : 16 October 2018 08:12:20(UTC)
boblewis

One often missed aspect is how they mainain their skills and knowledge both as a company and for their employees.  That is how they manage their ongoing competence

Connor35037  
#9 Posted : 16 October 2018 15:35:47(UTC)
Connor35037

I would also include:

-Who provides competent H & S advice to the company

-What is their accident record

-Provide copies of relevant training records

-If they're going to use sub-contractors, details of their vetting process

The amount of information provided should be considered against the number of people in the organisation (for example if they send you 1 x ECS Card and they have 300 employees that wouldn't be sufficient in terms of training evidence)

WatsonD  
#10 Posted : 17 October 2018 09:02:41(UTC)
WatsonD

The British standards template PAS 91:2013 (https://shop.bsigroup.com/upload/PASs/PAS91-2013.pdf) is free to access and is cited in the CDM guidance document L153 - so downloading this would be a good starting point.