Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dudz  
#1 Posted : 12 October 2018 13:34:19(UTC)
Dudz

Hi there,

Do we have any College/University H&S/Compliance officers out there that can possibly assist me on this?

What are the 3 biggest challenges facing SHE Officers in managing safety compliance issues within the estates sector of Higher Education?

I'm assuming the possible issues are that of shared ownership/stakeholder management, control of MOPs/young persons and budgetary control. But I could do with someone who is already living/breathing/eating the role to give me a sanity check.

I'm currently working within a manufacturing environment and have been for donkeys years - but contemplating a sideways shift into a different sector.

Thanks in advance,

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 12 October 2018 14:28:46(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Welcome to the club!

You will probably get involved in a wider range of issues than you come across in manufacturing. Top three challenges are:

• Diversity of issues-it’s not just a one process site. There are dozens if not hundreds of very different activities going on at once: all sorts of laboratories, workshops, lecture theatres, student bars and catering facilities, accommodation and estates type functions.
  • Age of the estate- most universities have old building as their core, often built in the golden age of asbestos (1950-60’s). They are old and in many cases still up long after their expected demolition date. They have also changed in use; labs into offices into theatres into shops etc. They is no money to fix this up properly
  •  Academics- a distinct species of humanity who like to think that they know it all and are natural managers.  They don’t and they are not! You need to get them on side and make sure that you can manage their expectations. They also love meetings, and debates and things which you think can be decided in a couple of days can be dragged out for months or even years. Unfortunately they are charge in most HE establishments.

I could also mention volatility in the HE sector with declining numbers of home grown students and the government insisting that foreign students   count against the immigration figures.

So great fun sector but very challenging.

Check up with USHA- Universities Safety and Health Association.

Dudz  
#3 Posted : 12 October 2018 14:44:16(UTC)
Dudz

Lol!!! You're really selling it to me. 

Thank you so much for your response, your succinct answer is pretty much what I had suspected - particularly the last one! Having come from an FMCG background where a bad decision made in a timely manner is still better than a protracted good/no decision, I may well find this element of the job the most frustrating. 

You've given me food for thought. 

matelot1965  
#4 Posted : 12 October 2018 18:44:19(UTC)
matelot1965

Hi I have just left a college. I was not the H+S advisor they used a consultant instead of full-time. I was a member of the college H+S committee however I am now an advisor within the food and drink industry. I cannot disagree with A Kudziel’s comments he has pretty much hit the nail on the head. The resources given to H+S iare an issue. Governmnet funding has been slashed dramitcally over the years and there is not a lot of money in the sector. Resulting in the common scenario of organisations wanting people to do more with less with H+S taking a bit of a back seat. I always found it amusing when teaching H+S in the college informing students this is what should happen when we were not actually doing it ourselves.
Jane Blunt  
#5 Posted : 13 October 2018 07:31:34(UTC)
Jane Blunt

I am a recently retired University safety officer from within the academic side of the operation. Relationships between academic departments and estates can be complex because the boundaries are not always well-defined, and there is often lack of understanding between them. Although I agree with what A Kurdziel says you do need to bear in mind that academics are trying to push back the frontiers of science and this is not only dangerous at times, but the academics involved actually know rather a lot and are often right.

Estates - they need to listen to what the academics, and the safety officers who are representing their interests are saying, sometimes they actually do know what they are talking about. Especially in things like bulk cryogens. They probably know more about it than you do.

Estates - there can be a divide between the teams that actually design, build and commission buildings and the team(s) that maintain buildings. This may be a combination of estates staff and internal staff in the department who occupy the building. This can lead to a huge hiatus when the building is about a year old when no-one knows who is responsible for fixing problems and no-one actually knows how to because of the lack of communication.

Working with departments. Large academic departments may have a considerable sized maintenance teams, who get to know the building a lot better than Estates do. This will depend both on the size of the estate and the size of the department. They are your friends, not your rivals. If there are aspects of maintenance that you normally undertake, then make sure that you liaise with the department to reassure both parties that the work is being done. If, for example, the estates dept is short  on peoplepower remember that you can work as a team with the department, provided you are honest about what you can and cannot do.

Common sense approach - for instance, don't install emergency showers without drains in the floor, just because the standard does not actually specify that there should be a drain. It should be obvious that one is needed. Remember that laboratories are potentially more dangerous than offices, so use good practice and don't do things like mixing electrical phases on the benches and having emergency cutoff switches that only shut off a tiny fraction of the sockets in the room. Again, if the safety officer representing the academic's interests is not happy with your approach, listen to them; this will build trust. If you don't listen, then distrust will flourish, which benefits no-one.

thanks 1 user thanked Jane Blunt for this useful post.
Dudz on 27/06/2019(UTC)
nicholaish  
#6 Posted : 15 October 2018 12:17:26(UTC)
nicholaish

Hello, i am an Estates Health and Safety Advisor for a University (only been in post for 3 months, but come from an education sector background), my current challenges within estates  are

•  construction and CDM compliance, and all the paperwork and safety checks that go alongside that. 
  • Asbestos management and communication of the procedures (i would second the point that most uni buildings are very old and pre 2000)
  • Policies and procedures - making sure they are in place and work for the estate and wider university.
  • knowing exactly what risks the academic side are bringing into the university, and ensuring that they are managing it. 

Our uni is lucky in a sense that our estates departmentincludes project managers, cleaning team, building team, electricians etc - basically anyone who does anything to a building is in our department, so i is easy for me to pop over to someones desk to get some information, and i know exactly who to get in contact with.

Happy to discuss more if needed!

thanks 1 user thanked nicholaish for this useful post.
Dudz on 27/06/2019(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#7 Posted : 15 October 2018 12:32:17(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I worked in universities for many years as University technician before moving over to the civil service when I took up a H&S role. I assumed when I returned to academia that things had changed and they had but not as much as I had hoped.  The sector seems to be only just getting away from the idea that H&S is what the H&S person does   and that the academics are only interested in teaching and/or research and anything that impedes this is only “pointless red tape”.  

I must take issue with the idea that research is intrinsically dangerous.  In my time I have been involved in number of hazardous activities but in every case the risk has been managed and residual risk has been acceptable.   A research laboratory should be the just about the most controlled environment in any workplace.  Most researchers understand this and work with us to control the risks but a  few though seem to follow the old school approach; for example one when I was looking at fume hood use seemed to spend most their time telling (boasting about?) of the number if fume hoods he had destroyed  during his research days.  

Not a good example to the next generation!

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Dudz on 27/06/2019(UTC)
johnld  
#8 Posted : 15 October 2018 13:47:46(UTC)
johnld

During my 20+ years in the HE Sector, before I retied, Iwould endorse many of the comments put forward by Jane and Andrew.

I was finding that many of the younger academics did have a much better understanding of the safety issues and the need to record risk assessments

The one issue that did keep reoccurring was the lack of knowledge of some overseas PhD students, who had very good theoretical understanding but lacked in practical skills.

I have to say that most if not all of reportable accidents tended to occur in the service areas (Estates, Catering and Accommodation).

These accidents were typically those which would be found in any employment sector ie trips slips falls and manual handling.

thanks 1 user thanked johnld for this useful post.
Dudz on 27/06/2019(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 15 October 2018 14:40:00(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The worry about overseas students including PhDs is that you explain something to them like COSHH and they smile and nod their heads and then you realise that they have not understood a word and that the basic concepts HAZARD RISK and SAFETY don’t really feature in their vocabulary. So you have a word with the academic and suggest that they keep a close eye in them and you keep your fingers crossed!

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Dudz on 27/06/2019(UTC)
wilco612  
#10 Posted : 19 October 2018 10:20:06(UTC)
wilco612

Firstly best of luck, it is a difficult sector with many challenges. I worked for 18 months as a health and safety officer within the HE sector. Amongst the problems I faced were:

1. lack of funds - we had an antiquated management system for the H&S which was very much paper based. Plus it was difficult to put things into place as the budget wasn't enough.
  2. lack of reporting - a lot of near misses or accidents weren't reported quickly enough so it was difficult to follow up.
  3. fire evacuation was a major problem, not only to get sufficient fire marshals and know if they were in the building but you have to consider how those with mobility problems get out of the building. This is particularly difficult when you think of those in electric wheelchairs which can weigh almost 1tonne as they cannot use the lift in an emergency.
  4. Accounting for students on trips and doing risk assessments for the trip.
  5. Making sure you have enough first aiders and supplies. I had to give out the supplies based on the first aiders requirements. Imagining counting out plasters of different sizes.
  6. Internal politics is a major issue. If someone else can blame you they will.

It is a steep learning curve and you can learn a lot so it's not all bad.

If you want any further information please feel to contact me directly on 07769 170 996 or email wilcock6@gmail.com

thanks 2 users thanked wilco612 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 22/10/2018(UTC), Dudz on 27/06/2019(UTC)