Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
iluvmywife  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2018 14:08:40(UTC)
iluvmywife

Hi all,

I have a question regarding SDS (Safety Data Sheets)

I find myself getting quite confused when seeing the following example in Section 2 of the SDS:

This product does not meet the classification and labelling criteria given in the Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008 (CLP)

But when I get to section 16 of the SDS it states the following:

Full text of the H- and EUH- phrases drawn up in sections 2 and 3 (provided not already drawn up in these sections) H225 Highly flammable liquid and vapour.

My Question is am I missing something? How can this product be Highly flammable and yet not meet classification??? I find this happens quite a lot, no pictograms but plenty of H numbers under section 16 such as H400 and such.

Thanks in advance if some kind person could shed some light on this once and for all :-)

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2018 14:40:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

Section 2 details the classification of the substance or mixture you have purchased

Section 3 details the classification of the substance or substances included within a mixture in their pure 100% form

So overall a mixture may not be classified but if it has low concentrations of components which in their 100% form would have a hazard classification these would appear in Section 3 and be explained in Section 16

Section 16 just expands information that may have been abbrerviated in the rest of the SDS e.g. by only listing the H / P numbers without any text

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2018 14:40:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

Section 2 details the classification of the substance or mixture you have purchased

Section 3 details the classification of the substance or substances included within a mixture in their pure 100% form

So overall a mixture may not be classified but if it has low concentrations of components which in their 100% form would have a hazard classification these would appear in Section 3 and be explained in Section 16

Section 16 just expands information that may have been abbrerviated in the rest of the SDS e.g. by only listing the H / P numbers without any text

iluvmywife  
#4 Posted : 17 October 2018 15:00:23(UTC)
iluvmywife

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Thanks for the reply.

That makes complete sense now, so for the purpose of a COSHH assessment, section 2 is the deciding factor on the hazards, whilst I need to take section 3 etc into consideration depending on volumes and other factors? 

Edited by user 17 October 2018 15:03:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified