Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jcollins17  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2018 09:11:18(UTC)
jcollins17

Hi All,

I’ve had a question from a client where they are having a team night out and an employee has a nut allergy. They have advised him to bring his epi pen and have informed the restaurant of the allergy. Is there anything else that needs to be done? the employee has asked for a risk assessment but i think this is looking into it too much (health and safety gone mad comes to mind).

I’m waiting to find out if it is in work hours or outside of them, if it is the latter my understanding is that nothing really needs to be done as he is there on his own free will, if its the former I’m not sure what else could be done.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Woolf13  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2018 11:38:36(UTC)
Woolf13

What if folllowing all the communication there is unfortunately trace elements of nuts in the food causing a reaction? What steps, would the team take in an emergency should that situation arise? Do they feel comfortable administering an EPI pen etc. 

If it is an official works night out then this should form part of the risk assessment they undertake for such events.

Whether that is communicated formally or not is up to the organisation in communication with the individual(s) concerned.

If you have ever witnessed someone have a reaction to a nut allergy who has then ended up in hospital on a drip, because this sort of situation was not thought through then you would not be thinking it is health and safety gone mad, but applying common sense and thinking it through!

Edited by user 18 October 2018 11:42:08(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2018 13:15:52(UTC)
A Kurdziel

We had an event at our site (previous employer) and at lunch time the catering team produced a buffet where a visitor took one bite of a piece satay chicken and suffered a major allergic reaction and was rushed to hospital for treatment (making it a RIDDOR). He came in the next day and I asked him about whether he knew that he had a peanut allergy. He said, “Yes but I always wanted to know what satay tasted like!” How do you risk assess for that?