Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mph  
#1 Posted : 19 October 2018 12:29:05(UTC)
mph

I am currently looking into what is involved in advising our First Aiders of any pre existing conditions (diabetes, allergies, pacemakers, epilepsy etc, etc) of our employees.

Of course I'm thinking this would have to be purely voluntary, but could easily be the difference between life and death if a First Aider was NOT aware of any particular conditions.

Your thoughts and comments would be welcomed.

Thanks

Mike

Edited by user 19 October 2018 12:41:41(UTC)  | Reason: Spellings

achrn  
#2 Posted : 19 October 2018 14:25:53(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: mph Go to Quoted Post

I am currently looking into what is involved in advising our First Aiders of any pre existing conditions (diabetes, allergies, pacemakers, epilepsy etc, etc) of our employees.

In all such cases we simply advise the affected person to inform the first aiders and their nearby workmates, but leave it up to them whether they do so or not.

We have a more formalised system with respect to notifying the relevant managers about things that influence what work someone is given (don't put a narcolepsy sufferer on a lone working task, for example).

Swygart25604  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2018 16:35:29(UTC)
Swygart25604

In a previous company, those people with pre-existing conditions were given the option of informing us. As a consequence, we had a list in our First Aid Room (which was kept in a locked drawer with First Aiders having key access) of whom had what. Every few months, we'd have First Aider briefings to keep everyone updated if anything new occurred. 

As we were also subject to Control of Lead at Work, the blood and urine analysis would throw things up very occasionally, such that when we got tipped off by the occ health provider, we'd have to get the individual concerned to speak with them about what was found. A couple of people were diagnosed with diabetes that way.

Edited by user 20 October 2018 16:36:09(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

Self and Hasty  
#4 Posted : 22 October 2018 13:44:08(UTC)
Self and Hasty

I'm in a similar position, I've written a procedure and OPTIONAL employee health screening form but because of the legal minefield with GDPR and discrimination etc. I've put it on the back burner for now, it seems I can't ask people if they have medical issues such as epilepsy, diabetes and severe allergies even though it could be critical in saving their life in an emergency situation...?!

Watching.

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 22 October 2018 13:59:22(UTC)
A Kurdziel

You are probably right as far as OPTIONAL screening goes. If some is allergic to penicillin let’s say, you as a First Aider don’t really need to know. BUT if you are a manufacturer of penicillin then you really need to know that information.  It gets more tricky, though if an employee for example was to develop epilepsy and did not tell you but their job was driving fork lift truck or even a bin lorry.