Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rsherl01  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2018 21:01:35(UTC)
rsherl01

Hi, I am currently looking to set up an accreditation body for Fire Risk Assessors. I am aware that there are a few schemes about but think my product is slightly different. Can anyone tell me the steps involved or who would accredit (rubber stamp) such an organization? Thanks in advance, RSherl01
Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2018 22:42:51(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Not another accreditation system....

Who are you to say if someone is an accredited fire risk assessor?

rsherl01  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2018 22:51:02(UTC)
rsherl01

Not the question I asked Ian but thanks for your input
fairlieg  
#4 Posted : 01 November 2018 10:47:43(UTC)
fairlieg

You could start here

https://www.ukas.com/services/technical-services/development-of-new-areas-of-accreditation/

rsherl01  
#5 Posted : 12 November 2018 15:48:41(UTC)
rsherl01

Thanks for your reply Fairleg. Do you know if there is anything that would make it harder for a commercial entity to get up and running. The majority of these programs I see seem to have been put in place by legislation (ie CSCS etc). I am wondering why this business model is not adopted by some of the bigger safety consultancies? 

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 12 November 2018 16:39:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

CSCS cards are not a legislated requirement - they are a chosen path for an industry sector.

Most legislation mereley states "competent" and then provides no definition of what are the competencies in that particular field - plenty of posts on here about what training / what course does x, y, z need to be competent.

What CSCS did have was the backing of the industry training body and an acceptance by the major contractors which subsequently had a trickle down effect through the sub-contractors and self-employed.

So what you need is a sponsor with sufficient weight and influence to swing the sector behind your scheme or have it adopted by a trade organisation who would then promote it as best practice. 

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 12 November 2018 16:39:00(UTC)
Roundtuit

CSCS cards are not a legislated requirement - they are a chosen path for an industry sector.

Most legislation mereley states "competent" and then provides no definition of what are the competencies in that particular field - plenty of posts on here about what training / what course does x, y, z need to be competent.

What CSCS did have was the backing of the industry training body and an acceptance by the major contractors which subsequently had a trickle down effect through the sub-contractors and self-employed.

So what you need is a sponsor with sufficient weight and influence to swing the sector behind your scheme or have it adopted by a trade organisation who would then promote it as best practice. 

rsherl01  
#8 Posted : 12 November 2018 21:38:01(UTC)
rsherl01

Thanks Roundtuit. Why do you think it is always not for profit organizations then that go this route? Why no Commercial entities for profit?
DaveBridle  
#9 Posted : 13 November 2018 13:00:40(UTC)
DaveBridle

Try looking at ISO/IEC 17020:2012 for being an accredited body.  

A Kurdziel  
#10 Posted : 13 November 2018 14:31:15(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The fact that you want a “rubber stamp” makes me wonder how seriously you take this process.

If all you require is a rubber stamp why bother with the accreditation at all? There are organisations that provide training that are not accredited by Ofqual but because of their reputation they can still get business.  

Tinkerbel7  
#11 Posted : 14 November 2018 12:39:25(UTC)
Tinkerbel7

The only thing I found was a Fire Risk Assessors course (5 day) along with a Managing Fire Safely (4 day course) combination that provides you with a Fire Manager Certificate allowing you to be a Tech member of Institue of Fire Safety Managers.... is this what you mean?

Not sure if this is helpful?