Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andyc63  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2018 14:59:04(UTC)
andyc63

We have business next door who use a route out of the back of their building across a roof and then into our building as a secondary fire route, up until now this has been working as our premises closes after theirs, now the tennats have changed and are working later than us. For security reasons we have locked this door whilst our premises are unoccupied, the new tenants are saying that we must now leave this door unlocked, meaning that in the event of the alarm sounding this door would remain unlocked  ( on magnalock ) leaving our building unsecure and the new neighbours access to our building.

Any thought or legislation that relate to this would be helpful

Boden31904  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2018 15:06:33(UTC)
Boden31904

Without digging up where I read it, I am pretty sure that once you leave a building via the fire exit, you shouldn't enter another building, regardless of walking across a roof or courtyard. I would suggest this emergency escape route is unsitable full stop.

Additionally, why have your neighbours got the authority to dictate to you? The security of your building is your priority surely? 

Messey  
#3 Posted : 12 November 2018 19:24:02(UTC)
Messey

To be fair, this would not be acceptable for a building contructed now, but there are literally 1000s of such buildings with escape routes like this in London alone.  Current fire safety legislation came in during 2006 and not all buildings can fit the drawings in the guide books. So innovative legacy solutions such as over roof escape routes have to be accepted - if properly assessed and maintained

When I was a Fire Safety Inspecting Officer, I saw a  5 storey single staircase hotel which had an escape route out of a window, along a balcony and in throught a window which released on a maglock. The neighbour was a residential flat - and it was their bathroom!!!! The young lady who flat it was had a small buzzer in the bathroom so she had time to  protect her modesty if she were soaking in the bath! Sounds like a Carry On films doesnt it!!!!??

In this case you need to check as there may be a legal document drawn up (For the life of me I cant remember what they were called), but most agreements were a friendly hand-shake.  Alternatively, the lease may have conditions. Again, a simple read through would give you the answer

Article 22 of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 says (paraphrasing) that Responsible Persons must cooperate and cordinate with each other. I doubt and local authority would take any action aganaist your company and would rather let the two parties settle the case in court. In fact I was called to plenty of such disputes by the person whose mean or escape had been blocked, and ended up making a voluntary agreement not to occupy the upper floor(s) of the building, or in some cases, serving an notice on them. That didnt go down so well!!!

chas  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2018 09:12:17(UTC)
chas

As has already been said, this type of arrangement is not that unusual in central London. A lot of the properties where neighbouring roof access agreements are in place belong to the same overall landlord. Where this is the case there is often something in the lease requiring neighbours to keep their shared means of escape accessible and unobstructed.