Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mtierney  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2018 11:54:49(UTC)
mtierney

I am looking for the appropriate course to send our Site Managers on.  They only inspect the scaffolding on site and record findings.  HSE states "scaffodling inspections should be carried out by a competent person whose combination of knowledge, training & experience is appropriate for the type and complexity of the scaffold.  The default competence is widely held to be a CISRS.  Does this mean that the training we provide must be CISRS or if we train to our tube and fit that will be sufficient.  

Woolf13  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2018 12:38:51(UTC)
Woolf13

In short no it must not be CISRS. Although CISRS are excellent and are the preferred courses recognised by the industry (conveniently pointed out on the CISRS web page) there are other scaffolding inspection courses out there you can undertake e.g. CITB/CHSG etc.

The HSE do not specify who you should be trained with just that those training you can do so to ensure you comply with the relevant legislation e.g. work at height/PUWER etc. and the person inspecting has the necessary skills, knowledge, experience and training.

The part about "appropriate for the type and complexity" is referring to competence and the important aspect of knowing your limitations i.e. inspecting what you are capable of.

I hope that helps.

SteveL  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2018 13:26:48(UTC)
SteveL

CITB only endorses CISRS & if required on a construction site that endorses MCG requirements that is the only card that they will accept. CPCS, CSCS NPORS or affiliated carding systems are the norm for MCG. It matters not what the HSE states.