Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Applegarth30101  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2018 16:14:20(UTC)
Applegarth30101

i work for a forklift company that repair and service fork lifts. Occasionaly our engineers need to transport a lead acid battery to a customer site to replace an old/useless one.

Does anybody know what do the vans need for secure storage and to cover any accidents?

fred_x  
#2 Posted : 02 December 2018 20:08:06(UTC)
fred_x

I am in same position

what we have is a set of straps to tie them down

as part of or job sheet we have a waste carrier form to fill in for our
waste oil rags and filters.

There has been a change to the law regarding Lithium batteries with regard
to HGV so they now are having to display the warning decal saying that
they are carry them. So I don’t know if you may need this

A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2018 09:33:24(UTC)
A Kurdziel

This site mentions rules for transporting lead accumulators https://www.360environmental.co.uk/legislation/waste_legislation/carriage_of_dangerous_goods/

I am assuming the quantities you will be moving will be exempted under ADR

chris42  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2018 13:33:03(UTC)
chris42

If you only have one or two and in good condition, I would ensure they are strapped in so they can not move at all. New or old I would ensure that at least one terminal has a protective cap to stop anything touching both terminals together (even an old one can explode). I would ensure nothing else in the van can float about and damage the battery. If the battery is damaged, I would have some form of full height plastic container and strapped (watch out for manual handling issues here as these things are heavy). Lastly if you are carrying waste batteries back you need a licence to carry waste (lower tier to carry your own waste and yes, it is your waste as you changed it with a good one. Lower tier = free). Have something appropriate in the first aid kit in the van.

Lastly have some sort of spill kit just in case of a leak and something to put used kit items in until return to base.