Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SBM  
#1 Posted : 20 November 2018 12:49:14(UTC)
SBM

Hi,

I'd be interested in the arrangements that people have in place for refresher training for defib training, as the subject is covered in the 1-day and 3-day first aid courses too. Annually? Also, some staff may only have received the defib training and not first aid training too...

Many thanks

Steve

nic168  
#2 Posted : 20 November 2018 13:25:02(UTC)
nic168

Hi Steve, I am not convinced that there is a need for defibrillator training- they are designed to be used by anyone, not just First Aiders. The tricky bit is keeping someoen alive after they have been defibrillated, so haveing competent First aiders is really important.

That said, I do get asked about De Fib trainin and there seems to be a general nervousness about using them  that causes even experienced FAW competent people to seek some reassurance in the form of training.

thanks 2 users thanked nic168 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 20/11/2018(UTC), SBM on 20/11/2018(UTC)
Blackburn31728  
#3 Posted : 20 November 2018 13:49:48(UTC)
Blackburn31728

As its part of the 3 days first aid training now should be covered in this when renewed anyway

thanks 1 user thanked Blackburn31728 for this useful post.
SBM on 20/11/2018(UTC)
Mark-W  
#4 Posted : 22 November 2018 08:32:43(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: Blackburn31728 Go to Quoted Post

As its part of the 3 days first aid training now should be covered in this when renewed anyway

And the 1 day course. As of Jan 1st this year it has to be included. Which I fully agree with but it cost me a fortune in trg defibs. At circa £300 each it got expensive very quickly

Kate  
#5 Posted : 23 November 2018 12:43:40(UTC)
Kate

An annual first aid refresher is recommended by HSE, the content of this is flexible and when I arranged this I got the training provider to include defib using the model we had.

It's not defib training as such you need (there is very little to using the defib itself), but CPR with a defib.

Mark-W  
#6 Posted : 28 November 2018 08:28:22(UTC)
Mark-W

I agree with Kate. Defib operation is easy. It instructs you exactly what you need to do and when. A good video I use is on youtube. If you search for Nick Knowles CPR, it brings up a 5 min video of a real life case. Very worthwhile watching as it shows how brutal the act of CPR is

mike52  
#7 Posted : 28 November 2018 10:47:09(UTC)
mike52

as a side issue to this topic. public defibs are easy to use by design. however how long would it take an inexperienced person to get one put of the case and set it up. most i have seen require the help of the operator on the other end of a phone to give them the access code to the box. the person would already be nervous so may mishear the code number. so personaĺly i feel training is a good idea. regards mike
Mark-W  
#8 Posted : 05 December 2018 09:42:39(UTC)
Mark-W

Public defibs are locked away for security reasons, here in the SW there was a spate of them being stolen. On the box, there is a code, you give that code to the operator and they then give you the code for the simplex lock. You then remove defib and use as required. I don't think that anyone asking for the code would be nervous as they know what they are getting and should be confident in their actions.