Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ncann88  
#1 Posted : 29 November 2018 23:30:58(UTC)
ncann88

Evening, I've just been into somewhere to advise them on some unrelated things and noticed that one of the fire exits is locked with a ceramic bolt with a little hammer on a chain to smash the bolt and open the door. Are these still acceptsble? For context this is the fire exit from sleeping accomodation mainly used by 6-18 year olds with adult supervision. I can't remember if there was signage or not but either way I wasn't keen. Thanks Nick
thanks 1 user thanked ncann88 for this useful post.
Kim Hedges on 03/12/2018(UTC)
tony.  
#2 Posted : 30 November 2018 08:11:55(UTC)
tony.

People unfamiliar with the set, asking a 6 year old to hit a bolt with a hammer?? People in a state of undress, no shoes etc Personally I would prefer a standard push bar
thanks 1 user thanked tony. for this useful post.
PH2 on 04/12/2018(UTC)
Kim Hedges  
#3 Posted : 03 December 2018 15:05:37(UTC)
Kim Hedges

Perhaps the answer to this dilema of the fire door is to have a demonstation before a fire drill? 

So after your next fire drill, everyone will have evacuated the building and come to the assembly point, so have the Fire Marshalls check if those doors with the ceramic tube or glass tube have been smashed to use the door. 

I would personally reccomend having an electronic tag on the fire door, to show if the door is used, not in the case of fire, but in the case of burglary, plus a trip switch would easily show on a fire evacuation panel that those fire doors have been activated (opened) during an evacuation or burglary. 

Connor35037  
#4 Posted : 03 December 2018 16:46:30(UTC)
Connor35037

Panic bolts are acceptable but consideration should be given on who may have to use them.

For example, if I saw panic bolts fitted to final exit doors in a primary school I wouldn't be impressed.

Messey  
#5 Posted : 03 December 2018 23:52:18(UTC)
Messey

ncann88 - Yes Redlam Bolt type door furniture is acceptable, but it's use must for part of a fire risk assessment.

They are acceptable when less than 60 members of staff are expected to use them from a low risk environment. I have seen them used on final exits from factories to deter the final exit being used for other purposes (smoking for example)

But for high fire risk areas where a rapid developing fire is expected, where there's  60+ people, where lots of the public would be expected to use that exit, or when vulnerable people - including children - are also expected to use it, I would rather an alternative solution be found

I audited a very smart hotel in Londons West End (currently £450 a night for the cheapest room). There was a central accomodation staircase and two external staircases from each floor. Access to the external escape routes was by redlam bolt fixings with glass tubes to prevent smokers leaving and prostitutes being smuggled in  

98% of guests were from overseas and the majority of then had poor English language skills. After a long battle, the Redlams were replaced with green break glass overrides 

In the example given where children are likly to pass through the exit, I would be very anxious that a childrens sleeping area has Redlam bolts as it would be very difficult to justify them

thanks 1 user thanked Messey for this useful post.
PH2 on 04/12/2018(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 05 December 2018 09:45:02(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Not a fan. Came across one during a fire drill and  we were standing at the end of a fire escape looking at the final exit door and people (adults) were all asking who was going to break the bolt?

I stepped forward and smashed the bolt, spraying glass everywhere.  Then of course our facilities people had to come along to replace the bolt and the feeling I got was that these bolts were sacrosanct and should not be broken just for a fire drill.  Not helpful on many levels.