Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wilco612  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2018 13:28:27(UTC)
wilco612

I was informed today that one of our cleaners pulled her back out this morning whilst working.  Apparentely our male first aider refused to treat her because she was female.  I am no expert in first aid but surely the person who informed me must have got it wrong?  I am not quite sure what the first aider could have done for treating her.

Any suggestions are welcome.

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2018 14:53:18(UTC)
George_Young

First thing I would do is discuss this with the cleaner and the first aider to get the information from them.

Elfin Davy 09  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2018 16:14:21(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

As you have alluded to yourself, I wouldn't have thought that there's much a First Aider could have done in terms of treatment if anyone puts their back out.  First Aiders aren't trained (or expected) to deal with those type of injuries, so (presumably) all they would have done was record the incident (if necessary) and arrange transport home or hospital, depending upon the severity of the condition.  As George Young has suggested, I would discuss it with those concerned to get a feel for the true position as the real reasons why treatment wasn't given may have been "lost in translation".

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2018 21:34:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

Beware, Beware, Beware heresay - deal in facts

Get clarification from the first aider - was the alleged refusal down to the condition or the patients gender.

First Aiders are to prevent life threatening situations becoming worse until the patient can be transferred to the correct emergency care - there is nothing more to be done for a pulled back other than sympathy, a record and recommendation to attend GP or hospital.

Be very wary of the common miss-conception that a First Aider is any form of paramedic and somehow medically qualified to magically pull pills & potions from their first aid kit to remedy all maladies

If conversley it is a gender issue determine what has driven the first aiders reluctance (perhaps in a primarily female workforce concern for allegation of inappropriate behaviour).

Think about your post and how quickly gossip rather than fact circulate.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 06/12/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 06/12/2018(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 05 December 2018 21:34:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

Beware, Beware, Beware heresay - deal in facts

Get clarification from the first aider - was the alleged refusal down to the condition or the patients gender.

First Aiders are to prevent life threatening situations becoming worse until the patient can be transferred to the correct emergency care - there is nothing more to be done for a pulled back other than sympathy, a record and recommendation to attend GP or hospital.

Be very wary of the common miss-conception that a First Aider is any form of paramedic and somehow medically qualified to magically pull pills & potions from their first aid kit to remedy all maladies

If conversley it is a gender issue determine what has driven the first aiders reluctance (perhaps in a primarily female workforce concern for allegation of inappropriate behaviour).

Think about your post and how quickly gossip rather than fact circulate.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 06/12/2018(UTC), A Kurdziel on 06/12/2018(UTC)
achrn  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2018 13:55:59(UTC)
achrn

I agree with those who've posted already in the thread - get first hand accounts.

As an aside, we make it a specific part of our process when identifying first aiders to highlight to them that they will need to be prepared to treat any other employee - something like 'you can’t refuse to assist because you don’t feel like it today, or don’t like that person, or have an objection to certain people (if your religion prohibits you from touching a non-relative of the opposite sex, for example, this is not for you)'.