Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Oxford  
#1 Posted : 10 December 2018 11:41:01(UTC)
Oxford

One for the LOLER experts - is there a weight threshold above which lifting plans must be produced? We have staff who occassionally use a tripod to lift items which could be around 250kg (anything above 500kg we contract out), and I've been asked if we need to produce a lifting plan for this activity.

My initial thought is no, as it's not using a crane and the load won't be more than a few cm above floor level, but I'd appreciate any other thoughts on this.

TIA

Clark34486  
#2 Posted : 10 December 2018 11:58:54(UTC)
Clark34486

BS 7121, have a look at lift classification, there are three defined types of lift.

Generally rule for speficied 'lift plan' is a load over a tonne but there are many permeters to risk in terms of lifting

lifting is the bane of my working life (we have over 160 OHCs in my business)

Woolf13  
#3 Posted : 10 December 2018 13:25:44(UTC)
Woolf13

It does not matter whether it is a crane, tripod or how far/high you are lifting the item as Regulation 8 of Loler states:

"(1) Every employer shall ensure that every lifting operation involving lifting equipment is —

(a) properly planned by a competent person;

(b) appropriately supervised; and

(c) carried out in a safe manner.

(2) In this regulation "lifting operation" means an operation concerned with the lifting or lowering of a load.

The HSE wish to see people and comanies being proportionate and the level of detail required for a lifting operation you describe will be somewhat less detailed then when you have a 100 tonne crane on site with obscured view of the lift etc.