Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mark-W  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2018 10:55:22(UTC)
Mark-W

I've been asked by 1 of my clients to train their engrs in asbestos awareness. I've had a quick look to see about the course criteria. And wether I could attend, but I was certain that you had to work in the asbestos industry for several years before you could instruct an asbestos awareness.

Has anyone done this? It makes sense as we have almost 40 mobile engrs so even at a couple of £K it would be cheaper than sending them on courses.

Woolf13  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2018 12:29:18(UTC)
Woolf13

When delivering training of any kind you must have competence to do so. Employers have a duty to ensure that the information, instruction and training given to their employees is adequate to allow them to safeguard themselves and other employees and to carry out their work with asbestos effectively.

Competence is not just having the right blend of skills, knowledge, experience and training, but also knowing your own limitations. If you feel you have the right blend of the above and are adequately learned in training delivery then there is no legal reason why you could not deliver an asbestos awareness course.

All information, instruction and training given should include an appropriate level of detail, be suitable to the work being done, and use written materials, oral presentation and practical demonstration as necessary. Asbestos awareness training should cover the following topics:

• the properties of asbestos and its effects on health, including the increased risk of lung cancer for asbestos workers who smoke;
  • the types, uses and likely occurrence of asbestos and ACMs in buildings and plant;
  • the general procedures to be followed to deal with an emergency, eg an uncontrolled release of asbestos dust into the workplace;
  • how to avoid the risks from asbestos, eg for building work, no employee should carry out work which disturbs the fabric of a building unless the employer has confirmed that ACMs are not present.

Please note: asbestos awareness will not prepare employees or self-employed contractors to carry out work with ACMs. Awareness training is only intended to help employees avoid carrying out work that will disturb asbestos or ACMs.

thanks 1 user thanked Woolf13 for this useful post.
Mark-W on 11/12/2018(UTC)
Mark-W  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2018 12:35:45(UTC)
Mark-W

Thank you for your commnets. I think that I can satisfy the above criteria but then that is very subjective, what I think is different to what the HSE or a training body thinks. So a bit more digging is required I think.

As for teaching I think I have a bit of experience, I spent nearly 12 yrs instructing in the Army, I hold both civvy and military teaching qualifications. My speciality in teaching wasn't how to be a soldier but how to search and find IED's, NOT disposal of IED's as I don't have a death wish. Plus I've been a first aid instructor for 5yrs. More than happy to stand up in front of a group of strangers and teach.

The staff i intend to teach to are facilities engrs, heating, aircon, sparkys etc. So an awareness of what asbestos is and to stop work is their level. None of our engrs will ever be involved in the removal of asbestos.

Edited by user 11 December 2018 12:37:35(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

jodieclark1510  
#4 Posted : 12 December 2018 09:09:25(UTC)
jodieclark1510

If you are not sure, you could always recommend e-learning UKATA or similar asbestos awareness at a few pounds per head rather than sending them away on courses. If you want to do it yourself, perhaps have a look at a couple of syllabus to ensure what exactly you need to include, and maybe have a chat with an asbestos surveyor/ someone that has experience in the industry to give you some pointers/ proof read any materials you create.

thanks 1 user thanked jodieclark1510 for this useful post.
Mark-W on 12/12/2018(UTC)
SNS  
#5 Posted : 12 December 2018 23:04:34(UTC)
SNS

iHasco also do an online awareness course, no commercial connection just used them before. Safety Media similarly do elearning for it.