Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SteveHewitt1970  
#1 Posted : 13 December 2018 08:52:04(UTC)
SteveHewitt1970

Good morning all,

Please note - I am NOT a recruiter! I am a H&S professional.

Moderator - if this post should also go somewhere else please feel free to move.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a "SHE Technician" apprenticeship standard - who knew?

The company I work for are very good at keeping on top of the government apprenticeship scheme. Each year it goes out "Does anyone want an apprentice?" - This year I said "Yes!!".

The problem is there are very few educational establishments supporting this apprenticeship. However I have spoken to our external consultant/provider for apprentices and they have said that if we can get together 6 local employers willing to take on a this apprenticeship they would run it themselves. This is fantastic but I'm not sure where to start, so I'm starting here. We are a company based in the Dacorum Borough Council area and I'm wondering if there is anyone interested in this opportunity?

If you've never seen the apprenticeship details please find them below. The standard is pretty much hot off the press, in so far as it was approved in March 2018, which means it was probably a little too late for most employers to get their head around.

The "SHE Technician" Standard

If by any chance you have had any experience with this standard please post your replies.

If you are in the Dacorum Borough area and are interested in running an apprentice please post your replies.

If you have run the apprentices through an apprenticeship scheme and found the experience postive please post your replies.

Many thanks.

Steve.

matelot1965  
#2 Posted : 13 December 2018 23:54:04(UTC)
matelot1965

Hi Steve, I have just recently left a college as an apprentice programme manager and was involved in setting up the new engineering apprenticeship standards. I do think that this is a good standard that will take a few years before it takes off From my experience there are many hurdles to overcome here As you have discovered training providers will require a minimum number of apprentices prior to running an apprenticeship as it is not financially viable to run an apprenticeship for one individual The concept of employers having a H+S apprentice will be an alien concept so getting the requisite numbers will be difficult. Employers are used to traditional apprenticeships such as engineering, construction, hair and beauty. If your training provider is not your local college I would would contact your local college and ask for the employer engagement department. They will have direct contact with local employers who they will already have built up relationships with. Explain your dilemma and they can at least ask the question for you or at least offer you solid advice After all if they can get a new apprenticeship on their books it is worth a good bit of money to them I wish you luck with this and hope you prove me wrong. I would love a H+S apprentice but I do not think the demand is just there yet Kindest Regards

Edited by user 14 December 2018 00:13:57(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CdC  
#3 Posted : 14 December 2018 08:42:26(UTC)
CdC

We are actually investigating this too. Unfortunately we are about an hour north of you, past Northampton.

Inchoa  
#4 Posted : 14 December 2018 20:34:31(UTC)
Inchoa

Our apprentice will be starting in January, we are based in Staffordshire. I can find out the details of the company who helped us to recruit and administer the SHE apprenticeship scheme if that would help you. Inchoa
Stuart Smiles  
#5 Posted : 20 December 2018 21:39:28(UTC)
Stuart Smiles

speak to the local university, they will haveloads of people and the ability to do degree apprenticeships, placement years, and also graduate jobs, with potential part funding towards the person for a period of time. it may seem a bit sillyto have already done one course, then start another but that may unlock funding streams, whilst also finding you someone talented, bright, and driven. 

good luck on your quest.

nic168  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2018 10:30:51(UTC)
nic168

It must be something in the air- I  have just been asked if I will take on a student for a couple of weeks. apparently he wants to go into safety when he completes college.

No sign of any apprenticeships here in Somerset otherwise I would point him that way as a potentailly useful careeer route.