Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.



Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : 09 January 2019 10:59:13(UTC)
Rank: Forum user

I have been looking into a few courses on scaffolding and cant find a definitive answer on whether the scaffold appreciation course specifcally gives the attendee a qualification to inspect basic scaffolds. It says in a number of course contents that scaffold inspection is covered, but have also been informed there is a 2 day scaffold inspection course!!!

Any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

#2 Posted : 09 January 2019 12:43:43(UTC)
Rank: Forum user

There are a number of different scaffold inspection courses out their ranging from one to three days. The reason for this is due to the types and complexity of scaffold which you may be inspecting.

My advice would be to contact one of the providers e.g. CITB or CISRS accredited and discuss your requirements and needs with them. You will often find they point you in the right direction in terms of what course you require and what that course covers.

You could also contact the National Access and Scaffolding Confederationone (very helpful) or one of the main support bodies such as the Work at Height Safety Association.

#3 Posted : 09 January 2019 13:25:08(UTC)
Rank: Forum user

I went down the same route and was pointed to the 2-day inspector's course. It is an excellent course and gives you an insight into general scaffolding inspection. Specialist courses for complex designs are a longer course so if it is normal scaffolding the two-day course should suit in my opinion. It depends on your needs though, we hire contractors to put scaffolding up around a chemical plant and to comply with the law we needed a competent person, hence the course.

#4 Posted : 11 January 2019 22:21:16(UTC)
Rank: New forum user

Hi yes i know that the PASMA courses (5 yearly) we have used in past covered erection and inspection however i am now looking into the PAMA for managers as in my position i am overseeing permits for people who are more (on paper) trained in an area than myself and i am supposedly checking areas that although i am competent to do i have had no formal training in,

Just food for thought to go alongside the training requirements you may have 

Users browsing this topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.