Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ballyclover  
#1 Posted : 01 February 2019 15:05:06(UTC)
ballyclover

Hi Everyone

So today I have been to a company where they are required to climb a short ladder, around 1.5 meters to gain access to a fixed gantry where machines crucial to the process run. Every day at least 4 times a day an operator is required to access this area.

So, of I go up there to have alook round. There are low about forehead Hight (me 6ft) beams crossing the gantry,most have padding, others just hazard tape. of course, being a H&S practitioner, it was sods law to walk head 1st into one and completely embarrass myself.

Well I have informed the management of this company that they should consider the use of hard hats obump caps and risk assess the area. Due in part to the cross beams but alsoworking at height, access via ladder, working over 2 meter

So, they came back to me sayingthat the padding gave adequate protection and where padding wasn’t available they would apply it. They have also said the guys are so use to going up and down that they are aware of the low beams and avoid them. They have also said if we must apply this rule to this height we should apply to anyone even stood on a small ladder. They have also suggested that they would leave it to the discretion of the work force to wear them or not, but they will provide them and its “tough luck” if they don’t use them and bang heads.

I’ve come back to say that although padding was a good idea the addition of hard or bump caps can only be a good thing, particularly for those who are inexperienced and or visitors. I have also said that working at height requires risk assessing be that 10cm of the ground or 10 feet. I have also informed them that they cannot simply “waiver” away their responsibility’s. They must ensure operators wear the PPE provided and that operators cannot be left to decide that themselves.

Don’t think I will get a recall to this company, but what are your opinions? Should I have suggested alternatives or caved to their ideas

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 01 February 2019 16:26:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

The company has identified a risk and put in place an engineering control (albeit not completely)

Based upon your post if they install bump protection measures at all these walkway cross points I see no reason to insist on PPE as additional control unless there are other significant hazards.

Bump Cap or Hard Hat which one is it given both apply different protections?

If someone were simultaneoulsy working underneath this gantry and/or there is a chance of tools and/or materials falling on the employees head I would concur with a hard hat - unfortunately these do not offer true bump protection, and from personal experience generate a false sense of security along with a limited view when ducking under obstructions.

Just wondering why the window cleaner across the road isn't wearing a hard hat as they clean the neigbours first floor windows.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 01 February 2019 16:26:32(UTC)
Roundtuit

The company has identified a risk and put in place an engineering control (albeit not completely)

Based upon your post if they install bump protection measures at all these walkway cross points I see no reason to insist on PPE as additional control unless there are other significant hazards.

Bump Cap or Hard Hat which one is it given both apply different protections?

If someone were simultaneoulsy working underneath this gantry and/or there is a chance of tools and/or materials falling on the employees head I would concur with a hard hat - unfortunately these do not offer true bump protection, and from personal experience generate a false sense of security along with a limited view when ducking under obstructions.

Just wondering why the window cleaner across the road isn't wearing a hard hat as they clean the neigbours first floor windows.

firesafety101  
#4 Posted : 01 February 2019 20:13:48(UTC)
firesafety101

Bally am I correct in thinking you are an external consultant, not an employee of the company in question?

My opinion is advise them they need to undertake a risk assessment of the work associated with the area including access and egress.  That is all you need to do.

If you are then asked to advise on the risk assessment you should read it and offer your advice.  Whether they take your advice or not is up to them.

Put everything in writing and await your next call from them. 

If you are a company employee it is different, you could then offer advice and guidance and be involved with educating them in the risk assessment process and advise mamangement accordingly. You could train relevant employees in working at height, PPE etc. If your advice is accepted or not then you take the next step, either onto your next task or hand in your notice if they are not accepting the advice of therir appointed H&S Officer.

ExDeeps  
#5 Posted : 03 February 2019 12:33:14(UTC)
ExDeeps

OK, so the current situation doesn't sound ideal, but, they have a partial solution which they feel is working. Whilst from a safety professional perspective hard hats or bump caps appear to be a good additional control have a think about unintended consequences. A hard hat will effectively make the wearer taller, a bump cap slightly less so. They also both typically have a peak. Result (unintended) is a person who is taller than they think they are with reduced visibility immediately up and in front of the face. Result = MORE head bangs and maybe in extremis neck injuries etc.

There may well be a problem that requires more control but the quick fix usually isn't

Just my two pen'orth

jim

Edited by user 03 February 2019 12:34:03(UTC)  | Reason: fat fingers

Bigmac1  
#6 Posted : 04 February 2019 08:39:41(UTC)
Bigmac1

Can they not drop the gantry by 6 inches or so. PPE is a last resort.