Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SallyOD  
#1 Posted : 04 February 2019 12:06:28(UTC)
SallyOD

Hi, we have an operative who has failed the sensitivity test using both bitrex and saccharine Solutions.
Lots of info on what to do if failing face fit test but not actually failing sensitivity test?
Is a hood the only option and should any additional controls be put in place due to lack of sensitivity?
And if we have to use a hood any recommendations for very low usage?
Constructive comments/recommendations welcome!
Thanks
Sally
Blackburn31728  
#2 Posted : 04 February 2019 12:51:12(UTC)
Blackburn31728

well theres one for us, I would look to see does he have to work in this kind of environment and if not then remove him from it, if so i would purchase a powered system which goes over his helmet so positive system this would solve the problen. they are FFP3 types and only need charging up daily and a flow test on them which is easy to do

Can cost from 70 to 140 pounds for total units but filters last ages so take away new masks every day

Problem solved

thanks 1 user thanked Blackburn31728 for this useful post.
SallyOD on 05/02/2019(UTC)
ChrisDay  
#3 Posted : 04 February 2019 14:07:38(UTC)
ChrisDay

The Bitrex/Saccharine tests are qualitative and rely on the test subjects tastebuds and is therefore subjective. What you need to do is a qualitative test that measures the fit of the mask in an objective way. search for qualitative face fit test in Google. there are other machines on the market other than Portacount.

Kate  
#4 Posted : 10 February 2019 17:22:06(UTC)
Kate

Chris, I think you meant to type "quantitative" the second and third times?  That is to try a quantitative instead of a qualitative test.  I do agree that would be a good solution.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
SallyOD on 28/04/2019(UTC)
johnmurray  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2019 23:41:07(UTC)
johnmurray

Originally Posted by: Blackburn31728 Go to Quoted Post

well theres one for us, I would look to see does he have to work in this kind of environment and if not then remove him from it, if so i would purchase a powered system which goes over his helmet so positive system this would solve the problen. they are FFP3 types and only need charging up daily and a flow test on them which is easy to do

Can cost from 70 to 140 pounds for total units but filters last ages so take away new masks every day

Problem solved

The filters lifetime depends upon the amount of contamination in the air....in a really dusty/fume-filled atmosphere, they may last a day or less....that's what the flow meter is for. although many employers insist they are "blown clean" first....they are not cheap..

thanks 1 user thanked johnmurray for this useful post.
SallyOD on 28/04/2019(UTC)