Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zurek554  
#1 Posted : 07 February 2019 07:31:48(UTC)
zurek554

Hi all,

I am just wondering if any of you had an experience working with thermal imaging cameras rather than smoke/heat detectors. I know these are expensive but highly recommended by insurers and fire brigades. The termperature detection range is from -40 to 550°C.

We are waste & recycling firm that I think will highly benefit from this systems. 

Your thoughts / experience is much appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Kris

Messey  
#2 Posted : 07 February 2019 16:08:35(UTC)
Messey

Not thermal imaging, but we installed video smoke detection (VSD) in a building with floors comprising of  large open spaces, but with numerous inner rooms within that space. It seemed like a cost effective way to look after a large space & to ensure MOE coverage for the inner rooms.

Its been a nightmare. The system has never been commisioned and several years on, it remains idle.

I would avoid VSD until the British Standards Institute get their fingers out and publish some guidance

stevie40  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2019 12:41:22(UTC)
stevie40

I'm an insurance risk surveyor and often recommend Thermal Imaging cameras to larger clients. 

A useful non-intrusive tool for locating hot spots within the process / electrical installation at a premises. Regular use over time can detect degredation in systems and allow you to plan your CAPEX projects. 

Operator training is crucial for these cameras though. No good if you don't know how to interpret what you are seeing. 

PS: Some insurers will offer matched risk funding to help pay for these. Usually 50% of the cost up to 5% of the policy premium. Speak to your broker to see if this is available to you. 

Oh and agree that Vidoe Smoke Detection systems are a nightmare. Not looked at the latest systems but early ones were prone to false alarm due to reflections on standing water or sunlight through trees. Tricks the software to think it is seeing a flickering light / flame.