Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Fun Police  
#1 Posted : 09 February 2019 13:41:10(UTC)
Fun Police

I am verifying my certificates and would like to know what is the required renewal, refresher periods for the following as the certifcates doesn't specify please?

Environmental Protection

This certificate does not have an expiry date. However, based on industry best practice guidelines, the recommended renewal period for this training is ? years

COSHH Assessor

16/05/2009

?

Managing Environmental Responsibilities

26/03/2012

?

Safe Mind / Safe Body

18/11/2012

?

Face Fit testing

27/02/2013

?

Dealing with challenging people & situations

20/01/2014

?

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2019 10:15:04(UTC)
A Kurdziel

What makes you think that any of these certificates expire? The issue is not the certificates; all they do is confirm any training that has taken place.  The dates are put on certificates because that is when the training provider wants you to come back to them for refresher training. This might just be a way to make some money.

What is really relevant for Health and Safety is the competence of the individual concerned. That is more than just training, it involves skill, upto date knowledge and experience (practice).

Woolf13  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2019 13:17:22(UTC)
Woolf13

When people are coming onto the IOSH forums to ask for genuine assistance the following comments are neither correct or useful:

"The dates are put on certificates because that is when the training provider wants you to come back to them for refresher training. This might just be a way to make some money."

By example and in relation to face fit testing, HSC 282-28:

"It is good practice to have a system in place to ensure repeat fit testing of RPE is carried out on a regular basis. This is especially important when RPE is used frequently as a primary means of exposure control, e.g. annual testing for workers involved in licensed asbestos removal (L143 paragraph 198)."

A repeat fit test should in any case be conducted in the following circumstances:

1) where the wearer:

a) loses or gains weight;

b) undergoes any substantial dental work;

c) develops any facial changes (scars, moles, etc) around the faceseal area;"

All the other courses listed should be repeated as frequently as determined by your health and safety policy and risk assessment in relation to your exposure to the particular risk/hazards as part of CPD.

Edited by user 14 February 2019 13:17:56(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2019 13:34:29(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Looking at the list, it looks like a list of the poster’s qualifications and I assumed that it referred to his training to carry out a face fit test not the face fit test it-self.

Dave5705  
#5 Posted : 14 February 2019 15:11:40(UTC)
Dave5705

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Looking at the list, it looks like a list of the poster’s qualifications and I assumed that it referred to his training to carry out a face fit test not the face fit test it-self.

That's how I read it too.

It's an interesting point I don't know the answer to. Do you really need to have your skills as a face fit tester tested? again? (for example) I would have thought it was a skill for life. I suppose if there are new technologies that require new fitting techniques (for example) I could understand that. Would thet not come under "review when change makes it necassary".

As for safe mind/safe body?  Is that an accreditation?

thanks 1 user thanked Dave5705 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 14/02/2019(UTC)
DaveBridle  
#6 Posted : 14 February 2019 15:28:46(UTC)
DaveBridle

Think what we are trying to state that does a certificate of attendance on a training course demonstrate competence?

Obviously it is down to each employer to decide how they demonstrate their employee is competent.  But it should be a combination of training, knowledge, skills, experience and information to hand.  Therefore undertaking a training course in 2004 on a particular subject and then not using that training, gaining experience on tasks for which they have had training and maintaining their skills on a regular basis would, in my opinion, not make a person competent.

For example in the original post completing a COSHH Assessors course in May 2009 and then not undertaking any COSHH work (such as assessments etc.) until now, would not make then competent and a skills/training gap exists.

thanks 1 user thanked DaveBridle for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 15/02/2019(UTC)
Dave5705  
#7 Posted : 14 February 2019 20:55:32(UTC)
Dave5705

Originally Posted by: DaveBridle Go to Quoted Post

Think what we are trying to state that does a certificate of attendance on a training course demonstrate competence?

Obviously it is down to each employer to decide how they demonstrate their employee is competent.  But it should be a combination of training, knowledge, skills, experience and information to hand.  Therefore undertaking a training course in 2004 on a particular subject and then not using that training, gaining experience on tasks for which they have had training and maintaining their skills on a regular basis would, in my opinion, not make a person competent.

For example in the original post completing a COSHH Assessors course in May 2009 and then not undertaking any COSHH work (such as assessments etc.) until now, would not make then competent and a skills/training gap exists.

Sorry Dave but that wasn't the question. The question related to whether or not a certificate was still valid. Competence wasnt mentioned.