Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
John O'Byrne  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2019 14:53:02(UTC)
John O'Byrne

I've had a lot of dealings with various comapnies who supply monitoring equipment. Yes I do understand the regs, but there are new devices out there which do not meet ISO5349 hut claim to be accurate enough to not really need to. They potentially save a lot of time and also remove inaccuracies caused by a lack of understanding when it comes to accelorometer fitting. However they seem to clash with HSE advice. I have some very slick marketing info but I am not comfortable with these units. What do you think?

ExDeeps  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2019 16:53:21(UTC)
ExDeeps

To me the problem is they are wrist worn, and therefore "fitted" by the person wearing them, which introduces variablity in tightness, proximity to the vibration source and axis being measured and therefore vibration measurement. Best advice from experts is consistently to go with the devices fitted to the tooling being used

Hope that helps,

jim

descarte8  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2019 14:23:40(UTC)
descarte8

They are unlikely more than just a tool timer, you would still need to know the "rough" emmission value - which the manufacturers can give you or you can use from the table / list provided by the HSE.  This should give you a maximum useage time for each tool for either action or limit level which you can use as the basis for your risk assessment given your knowledge of how long the task takes and what you already know about the trigger times by talking to or observing the workforce.

Peter M Wilson  
#4 Posted : 28 May 2019 08:44:28(UTC)
Peter M Wilson

There is much confusion surrounding this topic. I've posted a detailed summary of the factors that influence their practical use, the attitude of the HSE and insurers etc that may be useful. http://www.invc.com/fact-wrist-mounted-hav-monitors-do-not-comply-with-the-standard/