Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
winter28828  
#1 Posted : 14 February 2019 19:34:09(UTC)
winter28828

Hi All Looking for some guidance, I have a piece of equipment which pushes one end of a container up to around 45 degrees to allow my rubbish to fall out, my instinct is that it would fall under LOLER, however as it only pushes up one end I thought I would ask the audience. Hope someone can help James
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 14 February 2019 20:08:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

Bit more description on how this "pushes" (table that tilts or an arm that hooks on to the container....) and what kind of "container" (Shipping, shipping half-size, compactor skip....)

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 14 February 2019 20:08:22(UTC)
Roundtuit

Bit more description on how this "pushes" (table that tilts or an arm that hooks on to the container....) and what kind of "container" (Shipping, shipping half-size, compactor skip....)

winter28828  
#4 Posted : 14 February 2019 20:23:06(UTC)
winter28828

Hi Half shipping size around 20 cubic yards, it is pushed up at one end by hydraulic rams similar to a flat bed tipped. One end is locked in place and then the rams push up one end to allow rubbish to fall out onto floor. Cheers James
jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2019 07:46:16(UTC)
jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk

I would go with PUWER for this. The equipment is used to tip out rubbish. That's it primary function. The way it does this rely on the hydraulic rams to enable it. You will to obtain the operating manual for this equipment, carry out a PUWER assessment. The key here is the link with issues such as manual handling, lone working, etc. which you will need separate control measures for and obviously separate risk assessment. The training and maintenance regime must be kept in addition to daily, weekly, etc. safety checks.

Hope this helps.

Ian Bell2  
#6 Posted : 15 February 2019 10:19:39(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Agree with #4 - primary purpose is to push, not lift. So PUWER applies.

Its no different than if a hydraulic ram was moving/pushing part of the machine in a horizontal plane, rather than the vertical plane. If the part being lifted doesn't actually leave the ground, is also a persuasive argument that just PUWER applies.

For the item being lifted, in the event of hydraulic power/system failure how is falling under gravity of the lifted section prevented?

Hsquared14  
#7 Posted : 15 February 2019 12:03:01(UTC)
Hsquared14

I agree with everyone else - this is PUWER not LOLER

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 15 February 2019 12:13:26(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Are PUWER and LOLER exclusive? What I mean by that is anything we use at work is work equipment but if it is involved in lifting the additional requirements for LOLER apply AS WELL. Or have I missed something?

hilary  
#9 Posted : 15 February 2019 12:43:19(UTC)
hilary

I think I would take advice from a lifting equipment expert.  Scissor lift trolleys fall under LOLER and yet they don't leave the ground either. 

Mr Insurance  
#10 Posted : 15 February 2019 13:17:17(UTC)
Mr Insurance

Taken from the ACOP -

32 Other examples of equipment and operations not covered by LOLER include: (a) a conveyor belt; (b) winching a load where the load does not leave the ground; (c) roller shutter doors; (d) tipper trucks; (e) eyebolts permanently fixed in the load (these form part of the load); (f) dentist chairs; and (g) fall arrest equipment, including eyebolts fastened to a structure to secure  such fall arrest equipment, which are considered part of the fabric of the building

Would this be treated as being similar to a tipper truck?

alex1980  
#11 Posted : 18 May 2019 12:43:36(UTC)
alex1980

As an Engineer would come out to carry out a “Thorough Examination” this would cover both LOLER and PUWER anyway.
Blackburn31728  
#12 Posted : 20 May 2019 10:50:49(UTC)
Blackburn31728

As it lifts a load it should come under LOLER weather its a ram or rope or chain if it pushed sideways it would be PUWER