Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Keith Sandford  
#1 Posted : 15 February 2019 13:26:53(UTC)
Keith Sandford

Just looking for ideas, templates, specific info to highlight and what info should be kept hush in order to comply with GDPR. How often? Quarterly, monthly? 

Thanks in advance.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 15 February 2019 13:41:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/12/contents

How do you envisage GDPR would impact an in house company news letter?

Newspapers, magazines and web sites are all generating the same content they did before GDPR

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 15 February 2019 13:41:18(UTC)
Roundtuit

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/12/contents

How do you envisage GDPR would impact an in house company news letter?

Newspapers, magazines and web sites are all generating the same content they did before GDPR

Keith Sandford  
#4 Posted : 15 February 2019 13:51:17(UTC)
Keith Sandford

OK, not GDPR, more sensitive info that may have someone in the workforce complaining because i've broadcasted an incident with specific details that point to an individual.

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 15 February 2019 15:30:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

Where it is fact without bias what is the problem with names? http://press.hse.gov.uk/

If truly concerned replace the individuals name with i.p. (injured party) or a similar anonymous term such as driver, operator etc. - the grapevine always manages to fill in any blanks.

At the end of the day the justification for inclusion is "Provision of Information" a regulatory requirement whether that takes the form of a news letter, Tool Box Talk or Safety Briefing the method employed can be whatever suits the business.

How often to do a news letter comes down to having sufficent interesting and relevant content to satisfy the audience. I have lost count of the number of news letter launches that fizzle in to obscurity after two or three editions as content dries up.

Is the newsletter truly a relevant format in modern always connected society?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Dave5705 on 15/02/2019(UTC), Dave5705 on 15/02/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 15 February 2019 15:30:15(UTC)
Roundtuit

Where it is fact without bias what is the problem with names? http://press.hse.gov.uk/

If truly concerned replace the individuals name with i.p. (injured party) or a similar anonymous term such as driver, operator etc. - the grapevine always manages to fill in any blanks.

At the end of the day the justification for inclusion is "Provision of Information" a regulatory requirement whether that takes the form of a news letter, Tool Box Talk or Safety Briefing the method employed can be whatever suits the business.

How often to do a news letter comes down to having sufficent interesting and relevant content to satisfy the audience. I have lost count of the number of news letter launches that fizzle in to obscurity after two or three editions as content dries up.

Is the newsletter truly a relevant format in modern always connected society?

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Dave5705 on 15/02/2019(UTC), Dave5705 on 15/02/2019(UTC)
Mark-W  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2019 12:35:12(UTC)
Mark-W

1 of my clients used to produce a monthly newsletter. It contained a myriad of info. I had a small space every month to fill, I could have more space if required. I used to anonomise all of my articles.

But strangely enough it died a death after a couple of mob engrs complained. We have a company email system with every engr allocated an email address. A couple didn't want the faff of having to log in to that email system as well as their private email. So the MD allowed them to use private email for all correspondance. 

I sent out a H&S related email to all engrs and CC'd them all into it. Rather than BCC. The engrs with the private mail complained that now everyone in the company could send them emails and they didn't like it.

So the MD in his wisdom decided that to placate them, there would be no more newsletters. Made no sense to me but it's not my company and he can do what he wants.

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 06 March 2019 13:00:15(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Allowing staff to use their own email for company business sounds very dodgy to me but it’s not health and safety …

When I used to produce articles for in-house newsletters  I did not refer to specific incidents but tried to talk in generalities so rather than  saying “The muppet in the loading bay has had another accident” I’d talk about there being “a worrying rise in the number of incidents involving  fork lift trucks across the site”. Try to keep it general and say something that applies to everybody in the organisation.

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 06 March 2019 13:55:07(UTC)
Roundtuit

Oh dear - what a well intentioned and miss-guided MD

No one should ever use private email for work purposes as that forms a link in evidential chains - should an investigation start on the firm any and all linked content becomes accessible including ALL the contents of the indiviuduals hard drive as well as email

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 06 March 2019 13:55:07(UTC)
Roundtuit

No one should ever use private email for work purposes as that forms a link in evidential chains - should an investigation start on the firm any and all linked content becomes accessible including ALL the contents of the indiviuduals hard drive as well as email

Mark-W  
#11 Posted : 06 March 2019 14:29:12(UTC)
Mark-W

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

I know. He is very old school. He was due to retire a couple of years ago but won't. It's as though he doesn't trust his son who is taking over.

When I started with this company 6 yrs ago he openly admitted he didn't see the need for H&S, he'd run his company for 30+ yrs without an accidnet so why did he need someone looking over his shoulder all the time.

He's changed his mind now but it took some doing.