Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
David T  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2019 05:17:38(UTC)
David T

Hi all If a MOP (non worker) while crossing the road is hit by a moving vehicle in our work area and the MOP was taken directly to hospital for treatment, would we need to report this as a reportable to the HSE? Some have indicated that as ths happened on a road, this falls under the exemptions in regulation 14 (3) of RIDDOR 2013? Many thanks
Dave5705  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2019 08:24:48(UTC)
Dave5705

It depends on what you are calling a road.

the regs define road as

“road” ....

in relation to England and Wales, means any highway and any other road to which the public has access;

so if it was 'at work' meaning place of work, on your land then I think reg 14 does not apply and it is reportable.

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 18 February 2019 13:18:36(UTC)
Hsquared14

To add to what has already been said if the person received hospital treatment then it is reportable if it is just for a precautionary check then it is not reportable.  However, your description of events sounds a bit odd.  Can you clarify the circumstances?

WatsonD  
#4 Posted : 18 February 2019 15:25:14(UTC)
WatsonD

By the sounds of it they were crossing a 'traffic route' within your premises rather than a road, as in a 'public road.'

If so then as Hsquared14 states it depends on whether they went to hospital to receive treatment, or just as a precautionary check.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
David T on 18/02/2019(UTC)
David T  
#5 Posted : 23 February 2019 05:48:31(UTC)
David T

Hi all Thanks for your comments and sorry I was vague in my question. The person using the pedestrian crossing was a MOP and the incident was on what I can now called a traffic route and not a public highway as described in the workplace regulations. This person was taken to hospital for treatment. Regards