Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Duncan89  
#1 Posted : 16 February 2019 15:38:36(UTC)
Duncan89

Afternoon I am looking for some help, advice, guidance if possible

Our tasks of machine repairs are risk assessed and up to date, how ever we rqeuire the engineers to complete a Dynamic Risk assessment before each task and record the findings of hazards and control measures prior to undertaking the task.

I understand that a Dynamic Assessment does not replace the task risk assessment but what is the legal position regarding Dynamic assessments  could we use them in defence or as a form of risk assessment? and would they be accepted by the HSE in relation to actually risk assessing the task.

The help and advice would be grateful

SNS  
#2 Posted : 16 February 2019 23:47:23(UTC)
SNS

How does the DRA differ from the standard job RA? Is it specific locality questions or a repeat of the 'normal' RA?

One of the TV / Aerial / Dish installation companies has an assessment on a pda to be completed and sent in before starting is authorised, that is more of a local differences and authority to drill temporary fixings.

They could form a part of a defence if the worker then 'went on a frolic' and was working outside their term of reference.

In previous dealings with the HSE each inspector has been slightly different, some have said that all routine tasking should not need any kind of dynamic assessment as the full RA will cover all eventualities. Others have said that the only place for a DRA is in the emergency services - everything else is routine and should be covered by the full process.

thanks 1 user thanked SNS for this useful post.
Duncan89 on 04/03/2019(UTC)
Acorns  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2019 09:13:31(UTC)
Acorns

Using something as variable as the weather, a RA may refer to taking account of the weather, but  wouldn't the DRA deal with the actual conditions at the time.  An RA cannot take account of every eventuality likely to be encountered.  We might even say that a DRA is a constant activity through the task as it is (in theory) always checking that the risks are following the RA, and if they are not, do we continue or do we stop.

thanks 1 user thanked Acorns for this useful post.
Messey  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2019 11:33:11(UTC)
Messey

It seems to me if your task is pitching a ladder or tower to change a lighbulb, the RA can be completed in advance and should take into account and provide options to take into account predictable circumstances

Rain, snow, high winds, birds nests, proximity of microwave dishes nearby, dangerous dogs, poor ground conditions, poor condition of the roof - can all be part of a pre risk assessment that has arisen from the orginal RA. You could call this a DRA if you want to, but the origins of DRA are. somewhat different.

Dynamic risk assessing was produced for the 999 services where is is not possible to carry out a RA in advance, or carry out a full formal pre task RA on the day. DRAs in these circumstances (in the fire service) are not routinely recorded.

But its only semantics isnt it? You call it a DRA, I call it a pre-task RA - who cares as long as your systems enable the persons carrying out the task - and those around him/her- to do so in a safe environment?

thanks 1 user thanked Messey for this useful post.
peter gotch  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2019 13:00:19(UTC)
peter gotch

Duncan

What you call it matters little.

However, it appears that your organisation appears to recognise that not everything can be predicted in advance by someone sitting in an office, particularly for anyone in a roving role, and even more particularly, when that involves going to places that are not controlled by your organisation.

If we try and over-predict from the office in such situations any documentation would readily become completely unwieldy and not user-friendly for those at the sharp end.

So any good dynamic risk assessment effectively is based on assessing issues that come up time and again and leaving it to well trained people to be trusted to consider local variants. Gives them a degree of autonomy and less centralist control. Ultimately they are probably more likely to make the right decisions if they feel that they are part of the decision making process.

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Dave5705 on 18/02/2019(UTC), Duncan89 on 04/03/2019(UTC)
matelot1965  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2019 18:45:36(UTC)
matelot1965

My take is that a DRA is undertaken in circumstances that are unforeseen. Anything else requires a suitable and sufficient R.A. The fact that a DRA was undertaken should be documented to enable a decision to be made on whether or not the DRA should be developed into a suitable and sufficient R.A.
thanks 1 user thanked matelot1965 for this useful post.
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2019 19:43:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Following the responses so far what machines are your engineers working on and in what environment? Factory based equipment I would suggest a standard RA is sufficient Move in to for example white goods in the domestic environment and yes there can be additional risks - pets, children, aggressive clients but all very predictable. Even maintaining HVAC systems I will agree the environment will change BUT it was installed at some stage so a location specific RA should have been devised to cover installation with many points remaining pertinent for maintenance activity. The only remaining gap necessitating dynamism would be a lack of understanding in the task in its environment by a desk based assessor readilly resolved by getting them out and about with the engineers
thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Duncan89 on 04/03/2019(UTC), Duncan89 on 04/03/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 17 February 2019 19:43:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

Following the responses so far what machines are your engineers working on and in what environment? Factory based equipment I would suggest a standard RA is sufficient Move in to for example white goods in the domestic environment and yes there can be additional risks - pets, children, aggressive clients but all very predictable. Even maintaining HVAC systems I will agree the environment will change BUT it was installed at some stage so a location specific RA should have been devised to cover installation with many points remaining pertinent for maintenance activity. The only remaining gap necessitating dynamism would be a lack of understanding in the task in its environment by a desk based assessor readilly resolved by getting them out and about with the engineers
thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Duncan89 on 04/03/2019(UTC), Duncan89 on 04/03/2019(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#9 Posted : 18 February 2019 09:32:30(UTC)
A Kurdziel

From the tame HSE inspectors I have dealt with, I have found that they dislike the dynamic risk assessment approach because it is seen as a cop out. An employee is injured on the job and inspector asked “where was the risk assessment” and the employer said “we use dynamic risk assessment and it is upto he employee to come up with a safe system of work for that particular job” On the other hand, some inspectors tend to assume that everybody works on a production line with constant supervision, and that every hazard and risk are obvious to the line management and that they should lead by creating the appropriate risk assessment. Sensible organisations, as mentioned create generic assessments based on the hazards and the risk known about by management.  But they empower staff to do their own local dynamic assessment to check that this generic assessment is appropriate and that it covers all local conditions and issues. It empowers people to decide how to apply certain controls (within limits) and what additional controls they need to apply. They also allow staff to say “this is out of my comfort zone- I’ll come back later”. There has to be a feedback loop and the local risk assessment should feedback into generic assessments as more information about the real working conditions emerges (a sort of continuous review). The risk assessments that should emerge from this process should be “fully suitable and sufficient” and so fully comply with legal requirements.    

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Duncan89  
#10 Posted : 18 February 2019 09:52:19(UTC)
Duncan89

Thank you for all that have replied and it is apprciated and helps me move forward