Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dhally  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2019 09:43:15(UTC)
dhally

Hi

Im wondering if theres some sort of beard netting protection for people operating lathes.etc.We have an apprentice with a ZZ Top type beard who operates in the toolroom.We gave him a support net (of a type) but I dont think its enough protection.Any ideas?

Thanks

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2019 09:55:09(UTC)
A Kurdziel

There are beard snoods- they are mainly for catering but I can see that they would keep a beard out of machinery (based of course on a risk assessment).

https://www.viking-direct.co.uk/en/p/9243671?cm_mmc=Google-_-pla_gen_cleaning-and-catering_gosc-_-cleaning-and-catering-_-9243671&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsvrP-cHH4AIV4ZztCh3SoAaPEAQYASABEgKYcfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.

There is even a mandatory sign!

https://www.seton.co.uk/beard-snoods-must-be-worn-signs.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsvrP-cHH4AIV4ZztCh3SoAaPEAQYAiABEgJH2fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#ferme 

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 19 February 2019 10:17:13(UTC)
Hsquared14

When you say "support net of a type" what do you mean exactly?   A proper beard net should be adequate to keep his beard neatly contained and out of the way and you should be able to order them from your general industrial suppliers

dhally  
#4 Posted : 19 February 2019 11:11:17(UTC)
dhally

Thanks all

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 20 February 2019 10:04:00(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I just want to write the word snoods again!