Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thunderchild  
#1 Posted : 20 February 2019 10:24:22(UTC)
thunderchild

Morning all,

We have an external metal staircase leading from our upstairs office. Site is low risk with only an office and storage warehouse of metal, non-combustible items.

The staircase was installed aprox. 3 years ago, I've been told it now needs a thorough inspection. Does anyone know of a nationwide / local to Richmond in Yorkshire company that carries out this work? or can we do this internally? i.e. check for rust / corrosion, check fixings, give a good clean, check treads etc?????

Thanks in advance

jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk  
#2 Posted : 20 February 2019 11:00:19(UTC)
jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk

Hi,

One of the requirements will be to paint the external staircase nosings with a bright colour i.e. Yellow. This is no legal requirement from the Building Regs Approved Document K but it is a nice to have in my opinion. 

As the building is only 3 years old, you may need to familiarise yourself with the Regs.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/443181/BR_PDF_AD_K_2013.pdf

Hope this helps.

thunderchild  
#3 Posted : 20 February 2019 11:07:30(UTC)
thunderchild

The building is more than 3 years old, the staircase was only installed aprox 3 years ago so is coming up to inspection.

I may be missing something but the linked document does not cover the inspection of the external fire escape????

jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk  
#4 Posted : 20 February 2019 13:07:13(UTC)
jdc1975@hotmail.co.uk

This may be one of those nice-to haves rather than a legal requirement.

Have you carried out a general risk assessment for the building in the last year perhaps? Is the staircase(s) open to the weather and more prone to slip incident?

Are there leaves on the stairs that can cause a slip incident?

Lighting and emergency lights? You may need to research a bit further on this issue.