Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bryan Price  
#1 Posted : 21 February 2019 11:08:24(UTC)
Bryan Price

Hello all: my first post! After a career change from general management last Summer, I formalised my H&S experience by getting the NEBOSH GC last Autumn. My previous experience got me TechIOSH status. I then started my first SHE job - actually, straight in as an SHE Manager in the food production sector - just two months ago. I'm loving it, and learning a huge amount literally every day.

Quite unexpectedly, we've found that a major contract has gone elsewhere and this site will close in six months. I'll be retained until after the gates have closed, so I have six months of job security - against an inevitable reduction in daily workload. I figure this'll give me a window of opportunity to get further qualified, in order to make myself more employable after those six months. But which qualification...?

The NCRQ Diploma looks attractive; but how is it viewed? I've also read up on an NVQ Level 5 Dilpoma, which seems a possibility. But I know there are other routes and permutations. Any advice would be welcome!

AdrianW  
#2 Posted : 21 February 2019 12:11:48(UTC)
AdrianW

Bryan

Any of the following Level 6 diplomas will enable you to attain GradIOSH

• NEBOSH diploma
  • British Safety Council diploma
  • NCRQ diploma
  • NVQ 5 diploma

Just comes down to your preferred method of study and your budget.

Edited by user 21 February 2019 12:20:49(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Centurion  
#3 Posted : 21 February 2019 12:50:48(UTC)
Centurion

Hi,

If I were in your position as a H&S Manager then I would take advantage of that and undertake the NVQ route.

In 6 months you could complete a lot of  contributory evidence which will be of benefit to your IOSH status long term progress.

My understanding is that by having the NVQ you don't have to submit a Skills Development Portfolio when you apply to be Chartered.

Cheers

Andy 

Edited by user 21 February 2019 13:30:17(UTC)  | Reason: Additional info

SNS  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2019 21:36:51(UTC)
SNS

Originally Posted by: AndyMcCluskey Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

If I were in your position as a H&S Manager then I would take advantage of that and undertake the NVQ route.

In 6 months you could complete a lot of  contributory evidence which will be of benefit to your IOSH status long term progress.

My understanding is that by having the NVQ you don't have to submit a Skills Development Portfolio when you apply to be Chartered.

Cheers

Andy 

Just re-read my comment from last night and its not clear, amended below:

For CMIOSH once you have the NVQ Instead of the skills development portfolio there is an exam or two to satisfy the 'academic' side of advancement.

Done on line, more details in the membership area, then the peer interview.

Edited by user 22 February 2019 07:43:22(UTC)  | Reason: attempted clarity

WatsonD  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2019 08:07:05(UTC)
WatsonD

Sorry to hear that Bryan. I think mostly we all tend to think the qualification we took is the best. So you will get a lot of different views. I will try to just give the facts.

Nebosh Diploma is possibly the hardest - you will need to study a lot and be able to present this knowledge well in written exams, but that has its own rewards as the reputation gives it kudos and it is both the most recognised and established.

However, NCRQ is growing in popularity and those who have done speak highly of the course. Unfortunately, this sometimes comes across as looking like it is the 'easier' route which I am sure is not the case at all.

You mention NVQ. This one is more of an assessment of you and your job role. Hence no specific learning for this route. Although I suspect there will be a great deal learnt along the way. It is the qualification that is mostly aligned with your current role, so has less flexibility in terms of moving to different areas. In short, great if you are looking for a similar role.

British safety Council Diploma is similar in design to Neebosh Diploma, but not as widely known.

So there you go thats my viewed of how they are seen. Ultimately, they will all grant tyou Graduate status and this in turn could lead to chartered. So ultimately, look for the one you not only want to do, but the one you want to have.

thanks 1 user thanked WatsonD for this useful post.
Centurion on 22/02/2019(UTC)
Centurion  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2019 10:06:51(UTC)
Centurion

Hi,

I would just like to change my initial reply.

Having looked at the cost of the NVQ 5 it just seems too much.

Choose what suits you to gain Grad status.

With regards to obtaining Chartered status and completing a Skills Development Portfolio(SDP), that is another bridge to cross later. 

You are allowed up to 2 years to submit a SDP - you would probably be able to complete it much quicker if you choose to do so.

Cheers

Andy

Bryan Price  
#7 Posted : 22 February 2019 11:13:14(UTC)
Bryan Price

Thanks to all for the advice received thus far. It might appear sacreligious to say - but my main aim isn't necessarily to upgrade my IOSH membership level: I'm interested in increasing my HS&E knowledge in a structured and directed way, and thereby making myself more employable when my current post closes. A Diploma appears (on the face of it) to be an achievable step - and I do not not underestimate the amount of work involved.