Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
willr1981  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2019 12:21:57(UTC)
willr1981

Hi - I'm being asked to look at the use of 3M glass bubbles (K and S type) and was wondering if anyone else out there uses them in their manufacturing processes.

Information on practical controls for the fine powder seems to be limited to the data on the SDS. I suspect that this is because they are a fairly new product, which makes me nervous. Any pointers to industry best practice, LEV specifications, cabinets etc would be appriciated.

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2019 15:59:44(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Well we could start by looking at the definition of dust in COSHH Reg 2, which states that hazardous substances includes any kind of dust at a concentration in air greater than 10 mg.m-3, as a time-weighted average over an 8-hour period, for inhalable dust; or 4 mg. m-3, as a time-weighted average over an 8-hour period for respirable dust. According to data supplied by 3M - https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/91049O/3m-glass-bubbles-k-s-and-im-series.pdf the K and S type glass bubbles are mainly in the region of 120 mm to 60 mm. Cut off for respirable particulates is taken as being less than about 10 mm.  Of there might be some respirable particles mixed in with the non respirable(inhalable) particles and 3M cannot guarantee the size of each particle, just the range they sit in but this could be the start of your risk assessment.   

Standard stuff like isolate the process, LEV and RPE as a last resort.