Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
benek84  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2019 11:49:04(UTC)
benek84

Hi

What is your interpretation and reaction to lates HSE position towards welding activities? I realize that engineering controls must take place and LEV seems to be recommended equipment regardless the frequency and duration of welding... We have engineers on site who weld very occasionally (once a month for up to 1 hr) - do you interpret it as LEV must be purchased for min  £500-600 and inspected for so little use? Would appropriate RPE not be the reasonable solution?

'With immediate effect, there is a strengthening of HSE’s enforcement expectation for all welding fume, including mild steel welding; because general ventilation does not achieve the necessary control.'

'

1. Make sure exposure to any welding fume released is adequately controlled using engineering controls (typically LEV).
  2. Make sure suitable controls are provided for all welding activities, irrelevant of duration.  This includes welding outdoors.
  3. Where engineering controls alone cannot control exposure, then adequate and suitable RPE should be provided to control risk from any residual fume.
  4. Make sure all engineering controls are correctly used, suitably maintained and are subject to thorough examination and test where required.
  5. Make sure any RPE is subject to an RPE  programme. An RPE programme encapsulates all the elements of RPE use you need to ensure that your RPE is effective in protecting the wearer.'
KeithForman  
#2 Posted : 01 March 2019 12:10:57(UTC)
KeithForman

How I've interpreted it is that RPE would be fine for occasional use.  I would argue RPE is a better soultion than LEV anyway, though you do have to consider who else is going to be in the area.  We have LEV as we have plenty of non-welders working in the same workshop so RPE for the welders alone wouldn't be suitable.

You can also get welding machines that have integrated LEV that extract from the gun so no need for large machines though will these will still need 14 month inpsections and testing.  These units may affect the quality of welds where shielding gasses are used.

It all depends on your specific operational requirements.

Edited by user 01 March 2019 12:12:28(UTC)  | Reason: Because I can't spell or proof read.