Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.



Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : 12 March 2019 18:30:05(UTC)
Rank: New forum user

Looking for some help here

My cousin is organising a concert in his local town and the local council as part of the licencing process require a risk assessment

Has anybody any experience of carrying out a risk assessment for a concert and would have a template that you would share with me


#2 Posted : 12 March 2019 21:38:56(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user

Check out the council H&S area on their website, or google it. 'Most' councils have such information available to show what they would expect.

linda xc  
#3 Posted : 13 March 2019 13:34:25(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user
linda xc


You can use the normal 5 steps approach - ensure you cover the setting up, performance and break.  I presume you are indoors and its a small affair so CDM notification etc doesnt apply.  Council are often interested in the public facing side leading to negligence claims and bad press (please don't eveyone jump on this sweeping statement) so make sure you cover the smaller slips, trips, manual handling and falling off stage edges as well as the usual side for public management, fire and emergencies.



#4 Posted : 13 March 2019 13:55:37(UTC)
Rank: Super forum user

What is actually required is how you will be managing the risks produced or affected by the concert.

There is no legal requirement for a formal risk assessment (but if that is what you want to do fine) but councils love to ask for one as it's all they know.

The council has it's own legal duty to provide you with information - their fire arrangements, access & emergency egress, any limitations as to use of certain items, noise limitations etc. Without this you cannot do your bit, and it also helps if you have an officer contact with whom you can liaise, so submit 'simple' first, as it may be enough. The run these (and far riskier) events all the time.

Concentrate on the 'added impact' risks - safety of the public, how you will deal with emergency evacuation including for those needing assistance, noise, food poisoning, that kind of thing. The council is not interested in the safety of individuals involved (the 'contractors' if you like) such as manual handling, PPE etc as these are not licencing issues. That is not to say ignore, but it's only significant to the participants.

Put together a plan to include numbers, (profile of attendees is good), stewarding, first aid, communication in event of an emergency, people with disabilities, fire protection (no pyrotechnics is a common one). Bullet point the key rules, and have a list of organisers, their roles and contact numbers. Your plan should include the safety briefing for stewards, who need to be made aware of the building layout, equipment and alarms.

Users browsing this topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.