Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GHowe  
#1 Posted : 14 March 2019 13:08:06(UTC)
GHowe

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on the follow matter. I am currently appointed as a Health and Safety Officer for a manufacturing company. 

Previously we have supplied over the years eye test vouchers and safety eyewear vouchers for persons undertaking duties in the production areas.

However, I have questioned the policy on this as we have had several people abuse the system over the years i.e. getting vouchers not using, or getting multiple vouchers (badly managed) etc etc.

I want to change the policy so that we only supply safey eyewear vouchers on receipt of a prescription from the production staff members. I have looked over the regs and cannot see anything particular aluding to the organisation being required to pay for eye tests (other than VDU), however some production staff (welders in particular) request safety eyewear as wearing other glasses interferes with the RPE that is worn. 

In summary I want to amend the policy so that staff pay for their own tests and the organisation will supply vouchers for the safety eyewear.

Thanks!

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 14 March 2019 14:03:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

If your problem is with the voucher system get rid of it altogether. Write your policy making clear the employee pays for the test and prescription and then claims back from the company the cost of test with basic frame to a value of.... Be careful though as voucher schemes control where the employee shops one national charges £25 whilst another charges £10, if you go down the re-imbursement route you dont't pick where they go or how much you have to pay.

If they need prescription PPE to comply with your company policies you can't ask them to pay for the test which determines what the prescription is.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 14 March 2019 14:03:25(UTC)
Roundtuit

If your problem is with the voucher system get rid of it altogether. Write your policy making clear the employee pays for the test and prescription and then claims back from the company the cost of test with basic frame to a value of.... Be careful though as voucher schemes control where the employee shops one national charges £25 whilst another charges £10, if you go down the re-imbursement route you dont't pick where they go or how much you have to pay.

If they need prescription PPE to comply with your company policies you can't ask them to pay for the test which determines what the prescription is.