Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
railwaybuff  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2019 11:43:43(UTC)
railwaybuff

Hi everyone, I believe I know the answer to this one, but mostly to satisfy the enquirer I promised to post this...

Has anyone ever heard of using a 360 excavator to extract an injured person under emergency circumstances from an excavation?  More simply, can a 360 be used to lift people (that's a 360, not a telehandler)?  It's not been done in my experience, for sure.  Any elaboration is welcome, esp. if its said that a 360 can be used in this manner.

It's been put to me that a crane-able stretcher can be used in conjunction with a 360.  I'm yet to have the conversation around interpreting a 360 as a crane.  Temp works, exclusion zones, precision required of the plant operator, design and reach limitations, (unknown) compatible attachment are all thoughts I have that suggest its not possible and not a good idea.  Happy to be corrected.

Separately, what is the consensus around Davit Arms as a means of evacuation from an excavation? Has anyone had any negative experiences, any cause for concern? Where I can't facilitate a mobile/tower crane it would seem it is industry practice is to use one (temp works considered).  Is there much weight to suggested instability and clashing against the excavation wall when lifting?

Are there alternatives worth considering?  Excavation is too big for a tripod or a frame.

Many thanks for all input.

Woolf13  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2019 11:55:34(UTC)
Woolf13

The Construction Plant Hire Association (CPA) in collaboration with the HSE produced an industry good practice document titled: "Guidance on Lifting Operations in Construction when using Excavators"

This document states:

Lifting of Persons with Excavators Excavators should not be used under any circumstances for the lifting of persons as they are primarily designed for excavating with a bucket and consequently are capable of operating speeds and movements which make them totally unsuitable for the lifting of persons.

Access to height on construction sites should be by machines designed for the purpose of lifting persons such as MEWPs, mast climbing work platforms, suspended access platforms or passenger/goods hoists, or by the use of scaffolds.

In exceptional circumstances and where it is not reasonably practicable to achieve access by less hazardous means, a suitable crane with a man-riding basket may be used in accordance with BS 7121:2016 - Code of practice for safe use of cranes – Part 1: General.

thanks 1 user thanked Woolf13 for this useful post.
Dave5705 on 02/04/2019(UTC)
iain.mcpherson  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2019 14:37:15(UTC)
iain.mcpherson

I think, in an emergency for an injured person who needs evacuated immediately, I would use any means possible to get that person out of the excavation.  Health and Safety versus common sense.  Following the 'rules' or keeping someone alive......

Edited by user 21 June 2019 14:38:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

stevedm  
#4 Posted : 24 June 2019 07:20:09(UTC)
stevedm

I have actually used an excavator and other equipment available...so long as you follow the basic rules of risk assessment in process - Operational Risk Assessment process used by Trumpton (sorry Fire Service :))...works well. 

Part of the entry risk assessment an Emergency Response RA is recommended which looks ta response time etc and available skills on site..10 mins lack of Oxygen and brain cells start to die...so access to enhanced First Aid is really a key control....this should also cover fire and rescue and ambulance response times...as most of my cs responses have been in remote areas this is key to getting quick access to advanced life support to ensure the chain of survival

billstrak  
#5 Posted : 24 June 2019 07:31:57(UTC)
billstrak

Have to agree with Woolf 13.

If you are conducting activities such as excavations or CSE where there is a foreseeable risk of serious injury or ill health, you should already have an emergency management plan in place which I would hazard a guess that the identified method of rescue/recovery would not include the use of a 360 excavator. 

thanks 1 user thanked billstrak for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 24/06/2019(UTC)