Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thunderchild  
#1 Posted : 02 April 2019 12:34:18(UTC)
thunderchild

Afternoon safety peeps!

Right, pallet racking is clearly understood but would metal shelving similar in design to pallet racking but on a smaller scale still fall undre the requirements for racking? such as installation, inspection and loading? Its used for storing smaller parts that are manually picked in one or two boxes rather than a pallet load.

I believe it does but just want to cover my bases first.

CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 02 April 2019 13:18:03(UTC)
CptBeaky

I am interested in this. Basically at what point does racking become shelving?

Dave5705  
#3 Posted : 02 April 2019 13:21:02(UTC)
Dave5705

Hi, yes shelving is racking. It's all under PUWER. INDG412 is the place to look.

regards

thanks 1 user thanked Dave5705 for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 02/04/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2019 13:33:54(UTC)
CptBeaky

631 The term ‘racking’ is used to describe a skeletal framework, of fixed or adjustable design, to support loads generally without the use of shelves. It is usually qualified (ie pallet racking, tyre racking, drum racking, etc). Racking systems are widely used in warehouses as there are considerable space advantages over floor storage and they provide for easy access and retrieval of goods. There are many different types of racking system. The most common types found in warehouses are described in Table 9. Table 10 details terms commonly used for racking systems.

HSG 76 Warehousing and storage

CptBeaky  
#5 Posted : 02 April 2019 13:42:13(UTC)
CptBeaky

All storage equipment, including shelving is classed as work equipment under the Provision & Use of Work Equipment Regulations (PUWER) 1998. Therefore shelving does require a regular inspection to ensure it is safe, particularly if it is in the vicinty of where materials handling equipment such as forklifts is used because damage will be more common.

You can now all see my process of searching, I wish I was allowed to edit posts. Maybe in future I should wait until I have all the information.

So my take on this is that, yes you need to inspect shelving as you would racking. Would they still need SWL labels? We include shelving inspections as part of our housekeeping inspections, done daily. But we have no labels, and I think i would be hard pressed to even find out the SWL of the shelves.