Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 03 April 2019 13:24:09(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all, I've moved from a retail industry into a maintenance industry and whilst I've been here a few months now and I'm learning all the time, I still have ways to go. I've been tasked with carrying out a detailed RA on some new machinery, and whilst I've done plenty of RA's before now, I'm not sure where to start with this one. I believe that the aforementioned is required under the Supply of Machinery (Safety) Regulations 2008 and that because it's new, is covered under the Machinery Directive and requires a declaration of conformity, technical file, user instructions and CE mark on the machine (?), but I'm not sure where to start from a RA point of view. Any suggestions please? Thanks.

Ian Bell2  
#2 Posted : 03 April 2019 13:31:58(UTC)
Ian Bell2

The machine designer, by his CE Declaration of Conformity has / is saying that the machine meets the EHSRs under the machinery directive. You shouldn't need to do any more.

What you do need to do is to complete an assessment under PUWER - Provision and Use of Work Equipment regulations - probably concentrating on how and where the machine will be used in your company - i.e. does it fit where you want it to fit, is the lighting ok, do people now how to use the machine, can it be isolated etc

thanks 2 users thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 03/04/2019(UTC), A Kurdziel on 03/04/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#3 Posted : 03 April 2019 13:36:03(UTC)
CptBeaky

Ian is correct. I have to do this a fair bit in my role, if you pm me I don't mind sending you a template I use for a full PUWER assessment. I basically use this to then create the RA.

thanks 3 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 03/04/2019(UTC), niamh cowhey on 09/04/2019(UTC), ConorD on 10/04/2019(UTC)
Svick1984  
#4 Posted : 03 April 2019 14:02:04(UTC)
Svick1984

Thanks very much Ian and CptBeaky, that's appreciated and yes I will PM you (as soon as I figure out how to do that on here), thanks very much.

Centurion  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2019 14:43:44(UTC)
Centurion

Svick

To PM someone click on PM bit at the bottom of their listing.  

thanks 1 user thanked Centurion for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 03/04/2019(UTC)
Svick1984  
#6 Posted : 03 April 2019 14:46:57(UTC)
Svick1984

Originally Posted by: AndyMcCluskey Go to Quoted Post

Svick

To PM someone click on PM bit at the bottom of their listing.  

Ah! Just seen it, thank you!

Svick1984  
#7 Posted : 05 April 2019 10:55:24(UTC)
Svick1984

Bump - is anyone able to confirm if a LOLER inspection would be required for any CNC cutting tables and/or tilt tables? They technically do lift and lower slightly from a fixed position (raises products vertical and back down) but it doesn't 'carry' anything (although I know LOLER looks at the strength, stability and load) so I'm just not sure if it applies. Please advise. Thanks.

chris42  
#8 Posted : 05 April 2019 11:12:14(UTC)
chris42

It does lift the workpiece about ( or what is the point of the machine). However the lifting part is not the primary purpose of the machine, so would not in my opinion come under LOLER ( same as a dentists chair does not or even a hand pallet truck / trolley.)

Chris

thanks 2 users thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 05/04/2019(UTC), jwk on 05/04/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#9 Posted : 05 April 2019 11:30:37(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: Svick1984 Go to Quoted Post

Bump - is anyone able to confirm if a LOLER inspection would be required for any CNC cutting tables and/or tilt tables? They technically do lift and lower slightly from a fixed position (raises products vertical and back down) but it doesn't 'carry' anything (although I know LOLER looks at the strength, stability and load) so I'm just not sure if it applies. Please advise. Thanks.

I agree with Chris, it does not need a LOLER inspection. If tipper trucks don't need covering I am very confident that a CNC machine also would not be concidered lift equipment.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 05/04/2019(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#10 Posted : 05 April 2019 11:34:10(UTC)
Ian Bell2

LOLER for CNC tables........... absolutely not!!

thanks 1 user thanked Ian Bell2 for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 05/04/2019(UTC)
Svick1984  
#11 Posted : 05 April 2019 12:25:56(UTC)
Svick1984

Thanks all; I was pretty sure it wasn't required, but I had a small element of doubt, so wanted to be sure.

Svick1984  
#12 Posted : 05 April 2019 13:46:04(UTC)
Svick1984

*Groan*. One other query; am I right in thinking that a newly installed CNC machine should come accompanied with a CE Mark on the actual machine itself? Or is the EC Declaration of Conformity provided by the manufacturer sufficient? If the former, I'm struggling finding it (not clearly visible which I believe it should be, if a CE mark applies, which I'm almost sure it does) which is what made me query it in the first place. Thanks.

paul.skyrme  
#13 Posted : 05 April 2019 20:06:28(UTC)
paul.skyrme

The machine must bear a CE mark amongst other things.

It sounds like you need a CE audit on the equipment bought before you get as far as the PUWER.

We see equipment all the time that is, supposed, to be CE marked and compliant, but often is not, so fails on PUWER Reg 10 without anything else.

PM if you want more info, I am slowly catching up with things following being away for a spell working and I have a couple more posts to answer...

thanks 1 user thanked paul.skyrme for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 08/04/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#14 Posted : 08 April 2019 09:24:06(UTC)
CptBeaky

*Groan*. One other query; am I right in thinking that a newly installed CNC machine should come accompanied with a CE Mark on the actual machine itself? Or is the EC Declaration of Conformity provided by the manufacturer sufficient? If the former, I'm struggling finding it (not clearly visible which I believe it should be, if a CE mark applies, which I'm almost sure it does) which is what made me query it in the first place. Thanks.

Is the machine new? If is is older than 1992(?) it may not have one.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 08/04/2019(UTC)
Svick1984  
#15 Posted : 08 April 2019 11:19:25(UTC)
Svick1984

Originally Posted by: paul.skyrme Go to Quoted Post

It sounds like you need a CE audit on the equipment bought before you get as far as the PUWER.

We see equipment all the time that is, supposed, to be CE marked and compliant, but often is not, so fails on PUWER Reg 10 without anything else.

PM if you want more info, I am slowly catching up with things following being away for a spell working and I have a couple more posts to answer...

Many thanks Paul. What's the next step from here if it isn't [CE marked]? I can't very well ask them to take it back, but can they retrospectively CE mark it? Thanks.

CptBeaky  
#16 Posted : 08 April 2019 11:31:21(UTC)
CptBeaky

I am sure you have checked, but just in case. The most common place to put the CE mark is now on the serial plate.

paul.skyrme  
#17 Posted : 08 April 2019 16:13:26(UTC)
paul.skyrme

Many thanks Paul. What's the next step from here if it isn't [CE marked]? I can't very well ask them to take it back, but can they retrospectively CE mark it? Thanks.

I would have to understand a bit more about the sceanrio to advise you further, but, if this is new machinery covered by the machinery directive, and not CE marked, then it is illegal for it to be placed on the market.

I have to be very careful on how I deal with this on forum as it could be considered a breach of rules because this sort of thing is what I do.

I can help more, please PM if you wish., not necessarily chargeable. ;)

Bigmac1  
#18 Posted : 10 April 2019 12:26:35(UTC)
Bigmac1

SVIK1984

You need to be competent to carry out a PUWER assessment, seems to me that you are not and should seek advice.

ttxela  
#19 Posted : 10 April 2019 12:32:57(UTC)
ttxela

Vey much depends on the situation, I once ended up with a non CE marked freezer on site. It had been supplied in error and was intended for the South American market. We absolutely did send it back!