Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
stevie40  
#1 Posted : 04 April 2019 11:06:04(UTC)
stevie40

I've never done the MS course myself, did NEBOSH cert and Diploma so have no first hand experience of it. 

I do seem to recall though that it started out as a 5 day course. I then saw providers condensing this to 4 days and now I see some covering it in 3 days. 

How is this being achieved?  Are modules being cut, longer training days or some other means. 

Any training providers able to comment? 

jwk  
#2 Posted : 04 April 2019 12:08:13(UTC)
jwk

The MS course requires a certain minimum number of hours (can't remember how many) so one way of cutting the number of days is to increase the length of each day. At my last-but-one place we ran our own version of MS (IOSH accredited) over three days, eight hours a day as I recall. That was certainly enough time to cover all the elements of the syllabus,

John

thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
stevie40 on 04/04/2019(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#3 Posted : 04 April 2019 13:28:24(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Hello

The current course has 7 modules with the following suggested duration for each module:

1. Introduction

2 hours

1. Assessing risks

3 hours

1. Controlling risk

3 hours

1. Understanding Responsibilities ( Law and Management Systems)

3 hours

1. Hazards

4 hours

1. Investigating incidents

4 hours

1. Measuring performance

2 hours

Exam

1 hour

Total

22 hours

we do it in-house with 2 modules a week for 4 weeks that works for us.

I can't see how you can cram it into less than 3 days solid without cutting something out or just plain cheating ie you have the answers and you coach them to write the responses just for those answers

Edited by user 04 April 2019 13:31:59(UTC)  | Reason: lost the formatting on the table again

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
chris42  
#4 Posted : 04 April 2019 14:42:03(UTC)
chris42

I think at one point it was padded to make it 4 days and then they cut a half day module on Environment and it became 3 days.

Interestingly when I was trying to persuade my company’s directors to allow our managers to do this, they were refusing due to the time away. I found an EEF course that seemed to cover everything in two days! Go figure! However, we didn’t do either in the end so can’t comment on the 2-day course.

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
Connor35037  
#5 Posted : 04 April 2019 15:41:58(UTC)
Connor35037

I used to deliver this course when training was part of my remit; it was scheduled for 5 days but I found I was ending sessions early as I was conscious of running out of material before I got to day 5!

Our current provider delivers it over 4 days but I can see it being achievable to go to 3 days if you minimised breaks etc.

thanks 1 user thanked Connor35037 for this useful post.
stevie40  
#6 Posted : 04 April 2019 20:12:17(UTC)
stevie40

Many thanks for the responses. I was concerned that providers were somehow cutting a corner to achieve 3 days but you've all explained it well. 

johnc  
#7 Posted : 04 April 2019 20:54:51(UTC)
johnc

The five day version used the fifth day for the written assessment paper followed by the project which was a rather detailed risk assessment. Never agreed with this as the course pushes the point that risk assessments should not be done in the office but by going out observing and talking to people doing the job. The three day version means the tutor must keep to strict timings to stop overturning.
thanks 1 user thanked johnc for this useful post.
toe  
#8 Posted : 10 April 2019 22:51:48(UTC)
toe

As an IOSH MS trainer, the 5-day course was well paced and did what it said on the tin – enabled candidates to leave the course being able to manage safely, to a fashion.

In the ‘time is money’ world of commerce, employer feedback identified the struggle to release managers from work for 5-days. This led IOSH to drop the last module (module 8, environment) and they cut the course to 4 days.  I agreed that this was the right approach, but it made the course tight to deliver, on a positive note for both employers, candidates and trainers.

I do-not subscribe to the 3-day approach though, despite the new project being a lot easier to complete. It is difficult to deliver the course in this timescale and I question the delegates ability to manage safely at the end of the 3 days of training. Don’t get me started on the e-learning MS course…

Edited by user 10 April 2019 22:52:50(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked toe for this useful post.
billstrak on 11/04/2019(UTC)
toe  
#9 Posted : 10 April 2019 22:59:42(UTC)
toe

Originally Posted by: johnc Go to Quoted Post
The five day version used the fifth day for the written assessment paper followed by the project which was a rather detailed risk assessment. Never agreed with this as the course pushes the point that risk assessments should not be done in the office but by going out observing and talking to people doing the job. The three day version means the tutor must keep to strict timings to stop overturning.

I have to disagree. The project was/is not to be completed on the training course. This is a workplace project that is to be completed by the delegate in their place of work and handed in on the last day of training.

Point to note: The project was not a risk assessment. It was a document that was completed by candidates to produce evidence that the candidate understood a simple risk assessment process and was able to identify suitable controls.