Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stegalloway123  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2019 14:02:46(UTC)
Stegalloway123

Workplace: Train Cleaning Depot

Task/Setting : 28 Cleaners based out of a depot, are mobile and travel to 8 outstations to clean trains stabled overnight. Even though there are a large number of cleaners there is only 3/4 drivers who are willing to drive the 6 seater vans.

This has caused the employer to encourage a newer member of staff to take driving lessons and help out with the driving. The said person passed his test other week and recieved his license yesterday and handed it into HR. He has been told he will be on insurance by today and allowed to drive the vans TONIGHT.  

The lad will be driving a bigger, more powerful vehicle than he has trained in without dual control or a instructor whilst carrying 5 passengers.  Is this too much, too soon? He doesnt even have his own vehichle yet. As the lad is new I'm not even sure he is familiar with all the routes we take.

Does anyone see an issue with this from a safety perspective? Any advice appreciated 

Note:  Just like to add a note that I am not implying or judging this persons driving ability at all. 

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2019 14:09:27(UTC)
George_Young

To me, it would be similar to a newly trained forklift operator, JCB or other equipment.

I would perhaps supply him with familiarisation training of the vehicle and the route before carrying people, but he has passed his test to a set standard so no reason not to use him, as long as insurance and everything else is in place.

Stegalloway123  
#3 Posted : 08 April 2019 14:19:49(UTC)
Stegalloway123

Thanks for advice George I have took it onboard.

Legally we know he is allowed to drive but our employer has to ensure our health and safety SFAIRP.

It all feels very rushed to benefit the employer not the employees. We have coped for the last 4 years with a shortage on drivers so my logic is we can survive another few months whilst the said driver gets some experience under his belt.

I disagree about the forklift truck similiararity for the simple fact he will be carrying 5 passengers. 

I dont know this I am just guessing but are you allowed to get a taxi license a week after passing driving test?

George_Young  
#4 Posted : 08 April 2019 14:23:03(UTC)
George_Young

But how is the said person going to get experience? he may never own a car, so waiting a few months may be a waste.

wjp62  
#5 Posted : 08 April 2019 16:53:04(UTC)
wjp62

Annex 8. Safety code for new drivers

Information about the safety code for new drivers, including the New Drivers Act and further training.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/annex-8-safety-code-for-new-drivers

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 09 April 2019 09:42:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

My first paid employment was driving a crew van for a catering firm one week after passing my test. I had a full licence was old enough for their insurance policy so was competent. You could suggest Pass Plus as a method to increase road skills but remember most behind the wheel on UK roads passed a test and that has been it ever since. Years behind the wheel does not equate to any higher standard of driving, nor does time behind the wheel.
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 09 April 2019 09:42:23(UTC)
Roundtuit

My first paid employment was driving a crew van for a catering firm one week after passing my test. I had a full licence was old enough for their insurance policy so was competent. You could suggest Pass Plus as a method to increase road skills but remember most behind the wheel on UK roads passed a test and that has been it ever since. Years behind the wheel does not equate to any higher standard of driving, nor does time behind the wheel.