Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2019 09:16:41(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all, I've read a post on this before (going back to 2011) about what typically first aiders get - if anything - in renumeration for their additional services. I know some people state nothing and some it can be a certain amount over the year, usually £150 (so I've read). Please can anyone confirm? I know it's likely to be different for each company, but depending on the response, might give me an average to work to. Thanks.

CptBeaky  
#2 Posted : 12 April 2019 09:29:58(UTC)
CptBeaky

The 1st aiders on our factory floor get £5 per week (so £260 per year) strangely enough the office staff 1st aiders (which I count as one of) don't get this.

In my previous role it was nothing for anybody.

In the role previous to that it was the same as this one (£5 per week for factory, nothing for office)

George_Young  
#3 Posted : 12 April 2019 09:58:27(UTC)
George_Young

At our place, the company do not give extra for being a first aider, which is a shame as I am one of the first aiders here.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2019 10:01:48(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Zilch- here and at my previous place

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2019 10:28:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

The general trend has been towards zero financial recognition and is a reflection of changing workplaces.

In the old union days any skill or enhancement would see an uplift in the individuals hourly rate as recompense and recognition - through collective bargaining this would transpose as a figure for those not on the clock. Defintions of what contribute to pensionable remunneration, the move from weekly cash payment, loss of union negotiation, automated payroll have all seen recognition payments fall by the way side being deemed too burdensome to administer.

The last FAAW payment I received was an annual £150 - my next employer gave no recognition.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2019 10:28:14(UTC)
Roundtuit

The general trend has been towards zero financial recognition and is a reflection of changing workplaces.

In the old union days any skill or enhancement would see an uplift in the individuals hourly rate as recompense and recognition - through collective bargaining this would transpose as a figure for those not on the clock. Defintions of what contribute to pensionable remunneration, the move from weekly cash payment, loss of union negotiation, automated payroll have all seen recognition payments fall by the way side being deemed too burdensome to administer.

The last FAAW payment I received was an annual £150 - my next employer gave no recognition.

chris42  
#7 Posted : 12 April 2019 10:34:50(UTC)
chris42

They are rewarded here with free training in works time that may benefit their friends and family and give them piece of mind that should something happen they are prepared. Additionally, any clubs etc they are part of may also benefit allowing them to become a integral member of such a group.

What more could you ask for?

Edited by user 12 April 2019 10:36:10(UTC)  | Reason: the word on the screen was not the one I thought I typed

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2019 11:51:58(UTC)
Roundtuit

Likely changed but when I originally undertook First Aid training there was FAAW and for non-work related activity it was Public First Aid.

We regularly had the liability discussion and it always distilled to only undertake public (non-work) first aid when you hold a valid certificate for such.

So whilst you may be giving transferable skills which could be useful in the domestic environment possibly a bit of a stretch to indicate clubs and associations would also benefit - there are now many levels to consider

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/first-aid-training-courses/courses-for-the-general-public.aspx

Edited by user 12 April 2019 11:52:35(UTC)  | Reason: added hyperlink

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
toe on 15/04/2019(UTC), toe on 15/04/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 12 April 2019 11:51:58(UTC)
Roundtuit

Likely changed but when I originally undertook First Aid training there was FAAW and for non-work related activity it was Public First Aid.

We regularly had the liability discussion and it always distilled to only undertake public (non-work) first aid when you hold a valid certificate for such.

So whilst you may be giving transferable skills which could be useful in the domestic environment possibly a bit of a stretch to indicate clubs and associations would also benefit - there are now many levels to consider

http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/first-aid-training-courses/courses-for-the-general-public.aspx

Edited by user 12 April 2019 11:52:35(UTC)  | Reason: added hyperlink

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
toe on 15/04/2019(UTC), toe on 15/04/2019(UTC)
achrn  
#10 Posted : 12 April 2019 13:14:48(UTC)
achrn

zero here.

Connor35037  
#11 Posted : 12 April 2019 15:06:47(UTC)
Connor35037

My employer (a Scottish Local Authority) gives an annual payment which at present is £362.34

Messey  
#12 Posted : 12 April 2019 16:26:10(UTC)
Messey

One extra day off a year on condition you attend a first aid training course refresher every two years and a first aider seminar annually