Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MHarmon86  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2019 11:21:40(UTC)
MHarmon86

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so forgive me if this is in the wrong place or not appropriate for the forum.

I recently inspected a hostel owned by a landlord but managed by my organisation (housing association.) The emergency lighting is linked to the main lighting circuit, however, the CCTV system is also on the same circuit. 

This raises a concern for staff who advise that they are apprehensive about testing the emergency lighting by isolating the circuit as it would take the CCTV system with it.  Does anybody know whether the CCTV needs to be removed from the lighting circuit? I need to convince the landlord to do the work but if its not a BS or some legal requirement then they are likley to refuse... Thank you and once again, sorry if this is not appropriate for this forum

Hsquared14  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2019 11:43:22(UTC)
Hsquared14

I don't think it is covered by any sort of BS but what you do would be determined by why you have the CCTV and the risk posed by it being switched off for a matter of minutes once per month.  I think changing it would probably be overkill, unless of course you are a high security prison?

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 25/04/2019(UTC)
ttxela  
#3 Posted : 25 April 2019 15:10:54(UTC)
ttxela

I'm guessing the concern is that residents would probably have to be notified of the testing and would therefore possibly get to know the CCTV would be affected thus have an opportunity for misdeeds of one sort or another?

How would you cope if the circuit had to be isolated for maintenance reasons or in the event of a powercut/fault if the CCTV is so critical?

I'd perhaps look at some sort of UPS to keep the CCTV going in the event of  power interruptions.

paul.skyrme  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2019 20:01:03(UTC)
paul.skyrme

You could consider it as unacceptable division of circuits to minimise inconvenience in the event of a fault as required by BS 7671.

You could ask why the whole circuit requires isolation to test the emergency lighting.  Noting that for a 3 hr fitting the re-charge time to full 3 hr operation could easily be 48 hours, and you have to interrupt the normal lighting to test the emergency lighting.

Is this compliant with BS 5839?

This is simply not an acceptable scenario, TBH, the CCTV is irrelevant, and if it is critical to the operation then it needs to be moved to its own supply.  The EM lighting if self contained must be fed from the normal lighting circuit.

Edited by user 25 April 2019 20:03:41(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

Messey  
#5 Posted : 25 April 2019 22:11:30(UTC)
Messey

Originally Posted by: paul.skyrme Go to Quoted Post

It is definately not compliant with BS5839

Mainly as that British standard relates to fire detection equipment and not EL or CCTV ;)

thanks 1 user thanked Messey for this useful post.
paul.skyrme on 26/04/2019(UTC)
paul.skyrme  
#6 Posted : 26 April 2019 10:56:35(UTC)
paul.skyrme

Originally Posted by: Messey Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: paul.skyrme Go to Quoted Post

It is definately not compliant with BS5839

Mainly as that British standard relates to fire detection equipment and not EL or CCTV ;)

I knew I should have checked!

I always get 5839 & 5266 mixed up...

So, I'll say, is it compliant with the relevant part of BS 5266 then?

;)

thanks 1 user thanked paul.skyrme for this useful post.
Messey on 27/04/2019(UTC)